These Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are rich and decadent with a perfect chocolate ganache filling in the "thumbprint." Typically made at Christmas time, but I love making these year round!
Thise Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are the perfect dessert. A soft chewy cookie with a creamy chocolatey ganache filling these cookies are great for any party or gathering you have. They are typically served around the Christmas holiday, but I made them for a party I had recently and had to share them with you all.
How to make Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies:
This recipe is made a tad different than most cookie recipes. Typically, in cookie recipes you mix you wet and dry ingredients together separately, and then you combine them together. In this recipe you start by mixing the butter and powdered sugar, and then can mix in all the remaining ingredients together. Before baking use a spoon or another rounded utensil to make the "thumbprint." During baking make the ganache, and then once cooled top with the chocolate ganache.
- All-Purpose Flour - sifted
- Butter - softened
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
- Cocoa Powder
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Tip: I used a 2-tablespoon scoop, or a #40 scoop would work.
- Tip: I recommend spraying the button of your utensil with some no-stick cooking spray so it doesn't stick to the dough.
Step Six - Place them in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the bottom is a bit golden. While your cookies bake you can prepare your filling.
Directions for Ganache Filling:
- Tip: Do not allow you ganache to fully cool as it could harden.
How to store Thumbprint Cookies:
These cookies need to be stored in an airtight container. You can store them on the counter for about 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze thumbprint cookies?
Thumbprint cookies can be frozen. Because of the ganache topping their storage time is not as long as other cookies. Store them in the freezer in an airtight container. If layering them separate the layers with wax or parchment paper.
How to make sure the cookies stay round:
Cookies typically spread out while baking. As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven take a circular cookie cutter or even a small glass and work the cookie cutter in a circular motion around each cookie. This will help the cookies get back to their round shape.
If you tried any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookie
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 8.5 oz butter (softened)
- 3 /4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Then line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, add softened butter and powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Once combined, add in the rest of the ingredients for the cookies. Making sure to pause and scrape the sides as you mix. Do this often to make sure all ingredients are well combined. Once the paddle has pulled in all the dough, it is ready.
- Use a cookie scooper to scoop one cookie at a time. Then use your hand to roll out each scoop into a ball.
- Place balls of dough on your prepared baking sheet. Use a ¼ teaspoon to press down in the middle to make a gap.
- Place them in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the bottom is a bit golden. While your cookies bake you can prepare your filling.
- In a small saucepan, heat up the heavy whipping cream, making sure it does not boil.
- Place chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl. Once the cream is hot, pour in the chocolate chips. Let it rest for 2-3 minutes until the chocolate has softened.
- Slowly stir until completely combined and all the chocolate has melted. Allowing to cool for 10 minutes before using.
- Allow cookies to cool completely then fill the gap with chocolate ganache into a piping bag.
- Let them chill for a couple of hours in the refrigerator before serving. Once set serve and enjoy.