I love making Homemade Chicken Stock. It's so simple to make and all done in the slow cooker. Plus it's perfect to have on hand for homemade soups! This recipe is so simple to make I promise you can do it.
Why I Love Homemade Chicken Stock:
Soup is my all time favorite food! I make my taco soup recipe at least once a week, it's my favorite! With so much soup being made in my home I always have broth or stock on hand.
I love Homemade Chicken Stock because it has so much flavor and you can make it to taste, adding more or less seasoning to make it the way you love it.
How to make Homemade Chicken Stock:
This recipe is so simple to make. You let the slow cooker do all the work for you.
Step one: Place all your ingredients into a slow cooker then cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Tip: For this recipe, I love using leftover skin and bones from a rotisserie chicken. To get two pounds you could have to use two rotisserie chickens. Eat the chicken for dinner and use the remains for the stock.
Step two: Place a fine strainer on top of a large bowl. Use a ladle pour your broth through the strainer and strain well until only broth remains.
How to store Homemade Chicken Stock:
To store place in an airtight container or mason jar. Store in the fridge for 3-4 days. To freeze first allow to cool then place in a freezer container. Place in the freezer for 1-2 months. Allow thawing in the fridge when you are ready to use
Chicken Stock Vs. Chicken Broth:
Chicken stock and chicken broth are very similar and can be used the same in recipes. The biggest difference is how they are made.
Chicken stock is usually made with bones while the chicken broth is made with meat. When cooking if a recipe calls for broth you can usually change it out for stock with no problem.
Recipes to use Homemade Chicken Stock with:
Here are a few of my favorite recipes that you can use this chicken stock with.
- Slow Cooker Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Cheesy Chicken Rotini
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Casserole
If you tried this recipe or any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, eave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, and YOUTUBE.
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
Homemade Chicken Stock
- 2 ½ pounds bone in chicken pieces
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 2 cups carrots (chopped)
- 1 ½ cup onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (optional)
- salt (to taste)
- Place all your ingredients into a slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Place a fine strainer on top of a large bowl. Use a ladle pour your broth through the strainer and strain well until only broth remains.
- To store place in an airtight container or mason jar. Store in the fridge for 3-4 days. To freeze first allow to cool then place in a freezer container. Place in the freezer for 1-2 months. Allow thawing in the fridge when you are ready to use.
I think you are far more advanced in the kitchen than I could ever even pretend to be!
I have a love affair with my crock pot in the fall...this is awesome! Thanks for the ideas!
Found you via wild card Wednesday!
I have always wanted to make my own stock so I will def be trying! Thanks for sharing!
This looks awesome and fairly easy to do. I like that you get to control exactly what goes into this stock , so you know it' healthy! Thanks for sharing your great recipes with us! 🙂
xo, Abby @ Always, Abby