This copycat Zuppa Toscana is so hearty and tastes amazing! So, ditch the takeout, this super easy meal is made in the instant pot, and all the flavors come together so nicely! Serve with a thick slice of your favorite crust bread.
I love soup! I think you all know that. Whenever we go to Olive Garden, I typically only get the Soup and Salad combo.
I love their Zuppa Toscana. It is so hearty and tasty, I just had to recreate that at home!
I love making popular restaurant dishes. I have a couple of others on my blog, you definitely should try!
How to make Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana:
This soup is so amazing! It is hearty and full of flavor. It's all made in the instant pot, so super easy cleanup as well!
Brown your sausage and then add your other ingredients. Cook and when done add the kale and allow the kale to cook in the broth.
Serve hot and with a nice chunk of a hearty crusty bread. Enjoy!
- Olive Oil
- White Onion - chopped
- Garlic Cloves - chopped
- Ground sausage - I used chicken sausage for this recipe, but any ground sausage will work!
- Chili Flakes (optional for some spice)
- Italian Seasoning
- Russet Potatoes - peeled and cut into large cubes
- Chicken Broth
- Half and Half - you can also mix half a cup of milk and half a cup of heavy cream if you do not have half and half
- Chopped Kale
Step One - Start by setting the instant pot on the sauté function and allow it to heat up then add in your oil.
Step Two - Once your oil is hot, add in the chopped onions and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes or two until onions are tender
Step Three - Next, add in your sausage and cook until the sausage is lightly browned.
Step Four - Season with salt, black pepper, chili flakes, and Italian seasoning. Next, add potatoes and mix.
Step Five - Add in broth and close the lid and pressure valve.
Step Five continued - Select the pressure cook button on high pressure and cook for 5 minutes.
Step Six - Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over, quickly release the pressure by manually moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position.
Step Seven - Open the lid carefully and select the cancel button. Then select the sauté button.
Step Eight - Add chopped kale and let the broth bubble up for a few minutes. Add half and half and mix. Last cancel the sauté button then serve.
What is Zuppa Toscana?
Well not only is it the best soup at one of the most famous Italian restaurants, but it can also be your favorite homemade soup as well!
Originating in Italy, its name means "Tuscan Soup." It came from the Tuscan region in Italy and also means "Bread Soup."
Serve this hearty soup with your favorite bread and you have a traditional Italian meal in minutes!
How do you store Zuppa Toscana?
This soup is so good you definitely need to make extra to have leftovers!
Here are the directions for storing it in the refrigerator or in the freezer!
Storing in the refrigerator: Once soup has fully cooled place in food storage container, and place in the refrigerator.
This will last in the fridge for about 5 days.
Storing in the freezer: Once the soup is cool place it in a freezer safe Ziplock baggie or food storage container.
I find the baggies take up less space. If you are making this recipe for the purpose of freezing it, do not add the cream or kale.
This would affect the storage time. This can last in the freezer for about 3 months without the kale and cream.
I would only keep this frozen for about 1 month if the kale and cream are added.
How do you reheat Zuppa Toscana?
To reheat get a pot and place it on the stovetop on medium heat.
If straight from the refrigerator you can reheat there for about 10 minutes. In final 1-2 minutes add fresh kale if you want.
If coming from the freezer, allow the soup to thaw before reheating. Once thawed add the soup to the stovetop and the cream.
Cooke for about 10-15 minutes, and then add your kale.
Tips and FAQs for Zuppa Toscana:
- An alternative to kale? If you do not have kale or do not like kale, fresh spinach is a great alternative
- Can I use any kind of sausage? I love cooking with sausage. The flavors are great! Chicken sausage is probably the healthier option, but pork sausage is amazing too! Try whichever sausage you love the most!
- Adding kale at the end, preserves its freshness and nutrients, making it better for you in the soup. You also don't want it to get withered and soggy super-fast!
Try some of my other Instant Pot recipes!
Instant Pot Chicken Wings - These Instant Pot Chicken Wings are perfect for the Big Game and any other party you have! Made in less than 30 minutes, these will be the talk of your party. Full of flavor and made crispy by broiling in the oven for the final touch!
If you tried any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 pound Ground Sausages chicken
- salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional for spice)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 medium russet potatoes (peeled and cut into large cubes)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half (half cup milk and half cup heavy cream mixed)
- 1 cup chopped kale
- Start by setting the instant pot on the sauté function and allow it to heat up then add in your oil.
- Once your oil is hot, add in the chopped onions and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes or two until onions are tender
- Next, add in your sausage and cook until the sausage is lightly browned.
- Season with salt, black pepper, chili flakes, and Italian seasoning. Next, add potatoes and mix.
- Add in broth and close the lid and pressure valve. Select the pressure cook button on high pressure and cook for 5 minutes.
- Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over, quickly release the pressure by manually moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position.
- Open the lid carefully and select the cancel button. Then select the sauté button.
- Add chopped kale and let the broth bubble up for a few minutes. Add half and half and mix. Last cancel the sauté button then serve.