Try something different this week for Taco Night with these easy and delicious Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos. With only just 5 ingredients, throw it all in your slow cooker and let that do the work!
Tacos are pretty much the same thing as love. Am I right or am I right? I could eat a taco just about every day and every once in a while I love to try something new to try! And by something new I mean a new taco 😉
How to make Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos:
I love making tacos. We typically have tacos EVERY Taco Tuesday. Do you make tacos every Taco Tuesday? We sometimes even make them on Taco Thursdays, or Taco Fridays. It's one of our favorite meals of our family.
I love to make things in my slow cooker so this recipe is one of my specialties. This Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken Taco recipe is super easy to make and the crockpot does all the work!
Throw all your ingredients into the slow cooker than turn it on. A few hours later and your dinner will be ready!
- Chicken (boneless and skinless)
- Taco Seasoning
- Fresh Cilantro (minced)
Step One - Add to your slow cooker the chicken, taco seasoning, salsa, and the juice from both limes.
Step Two - Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until chicken is fully cooked and tender.
Step Three - Use a fork to shred chicken add in fresh cilantro and mix. Serve and enjoy.
- To get the best taste, wait until chicken is cooked then add in your cilantro. This give it a great taste and your cilantro will not wither like it would if you added it before.
- Buy an extra lime for serving. Squeeze some on the top of your taco or add some lime juice to your sour cream when serving for extra lime flavor.
Do I have to use chicken breasts only?
No, you do not! There are a few other things you can use! I like breasts because they are a larger portion of chicken and I can have a lot for leftovers!
- Chicken Thighs - Chicken thighs are a great option instead of breasts. They are full of flavor, juicy and cook great in a slow cooker. Just remember the bones when shredding!
- Frozen Chicken - Yes, you can use frozen chicken as well. Just put them straight into the crockpot and follow the directions! You will probably need to add an hour or two to the cook time if using frozen chicken.
Can I freeze Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos?
Yes, you definitely can freeze the meat for later with this recipe. Make sure the meat has fully cooled from being cooked in the slow cooker. Once it is fully cooled add to a freezer safe container with a lid or a freeze safe zip lock bag.
If using a zip lock bag, make sure there is no air in the bag. Place in the freezer until you are ready to use. Once ready to use it, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
If adding back to the slow cooker, you may want to add a little water or chicken broth for moisture. Salsa and lime juice work as well for this!
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
- 2 pounds Chicken (boneless and skinless)
- 2 oz Taco seasoning
- 1 cup Salsa
- 2 Limes
- ⅓ cup Fresh minced cilantro
- To your slow cooker add chicken, taco seasoning, salsa, and the juice from both limes. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- Use a fork to shred chicken add in fresh cilantro and mix. Serve and enjoy.