Twice Baked Sweet Potato
My favorite fall side dish. Twice Baked Sweet Potato is the perfect side dish or light dinner option. We topped outs with marshmallows and the kids loved them.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Pierce each sweet potato with a fork several times and then wrap them in foil. Bake for 60-75 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Remove potatoes from the oven and allow to cool enough to be handles.
Cut potatoes in half and spoon out the insides. (careful not to scoop out to much) and place into a bowl.
Add brown sugar, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and butter to the insides and mix until well combined and butter is melted. Add this back into each potato.
Top each sweet potato with mini marshmallows and place back into the oven to broil for 30-50 seconds until golden brown.
- Tip: When picking your sweet potato to try to keep them all around the same size so they can all bake together evenly. A longer potato will always bake more evenly than the short and fatter sweet potato.
How to Store Sweet Potatoes:
If you don't plan on eating these right away I would skip the marshmallows. Once cooked allow to cool then wrap in foil and place in an airtight container. Keep in the fridge for 3-4 days then reheat and serve.
Can you freeze Twice Bake Potatoes?
Yes, you definitely can freeze twice baked potatoes. You want to do it one of two ways. Freezing either method will work, and you can keep these frozen for roughly 3 months! When bringing back out to use, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Method One - Bake your potatoes as normal. Prepare your baked potato shells and the inside filling as per directions. Make sure both filling and shells are completely cool. Place shells on a baking tray in freezer to harden (about 1-2 hours). Bring back out of freezer and then place them in a airtight freezer container or bag. Put the filling in an airtight container as well. Store for 3 months. When ready to use, after being thawed out, scoop the insides into the potato shells. In a preheated 375 degree oven, cook these potatoes for roughly 30 mins. With 1 minute remaining, pull out the potatoes and top with marshmallows. Allow the marshmallows to melt and brown.
- Method Two - Fully complete and finish your Twice Baked Potatoes. Do not add the Marshmallows to the top and broil though, so skip Step Six. Allow potatoes to fully cool, and once cooled place on a baking tray in the freezer to harden, just like in Method One. Bring the potatoes back out after an hour or two, and individually wrap each fully finished potato, or place in an airtight freezer container or bag. When ready to serve, after thawing cook the same way as Method One. Preheat the over to 375 degrees, and cook for about 30 mins. Add marshmallows on the final minute and allow to melt.
Serving: 1loaded potatoCalories: 453kcalCarbohydrates: 81gProtein: 4gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 386mgPotassium: 776mgFiber: 7gSugar: 37gVitamin A: 32482IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 84mgIron: 2mg