Christmas Puppy Chow
The classic Christmas treat. We make this Christmas Puppy Chow every year for any party or just a family movie night.
- 6 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup Christmas M&Ms
Place cereal in a large mixing bowl. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a microwave-safe bowl melt semi-sweet chocolate chips, creamy peanut butter, unsalted butter, and vanilla extract. Heat for 30 seconds at a time mixing in between until melted and smooth.
Pour melted chocolate over cereal and toss to coat. Gently mix to coat.
Add in powdered sugar and again gently mix to coat. Place in your prepared baking sheet to dry and add in Christmas M&Ms. Serve and enjoy.
- Getting everything ready from the start will help you to move quickly later. This way your cereal does not dry in chunks.
- Make sure to mix slowly and gently to prevent your cereal from breaking.
Melting Chocolate Tips
Melting chocolate can be a little tricky so it's important to use higher quality chocolate.
I bought chocolate chips for this recipe but you could also use a chocolate baking bar that was made for baking and melting.
If you do not want to use a microwave you can melt this in a small saucepan on the stovetop.
- What is Puppy Chow? Puppy Chow is also known as muddy buddies or monkey munch is a cereal snack coated in chocolate and toss in powdered sugar.
- Is Puppy Chow gluten-free? This would depend on the ingredients you use. If you need this to be gluten-free make sure to buy corn check cereal. Also double-check all other ingredients to make sure they are made gluten-free. Ingredients can vary from brand to brand.
- Do I need to refrigerate this recipe? These muddy buddies can be store at room temperature for 2-3 days. If you want to keep it long store it in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Calories: 437kcalCarbohydrates: 62gProtein: 8gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 240mgPotassium: 269mgFiber: 6gSugar: 35gVitamin A: 494IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 101mgIron: 11mg