Fall is the best time of year and there are so many recipes to make to celebrate! These Caramel Apples are really easy and fun to make. Learn how to make easy Caramel Apples with this recipe!
You all know Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the weather, the leaves changing, the sweaters and most importantly the food. My kids love apples, so they do not usually last long in my house. I had to hide these Granny Smith apples from my kids so I could make this recipe. Homemade Caramel Apples are so fun to make, and taste better than the box kits available.
How to make Caramel Apples:
Caramel apples only have really 3 ingredients, but you can coat your caramel apples in candies, sprinkles or nuts once the caramel is on the apples! Simply melt your caramel, but be careful not to burn it. It is very easy to burn the caramel, so heat it low and slow. This is why I use a microwave to melt the caramels, and not a stove top. Coat or dip your apples then add any toppings if you want!
- Granny Smith Apples
- Heavy Cream
Step Six - Place baking sheet with apples into the fridge for 30 minutes for caramel to firm. Serve and enjoy.
Caramel apples for kids hack:
If you plan on serving these to kids slice them first and place slices on wooden stick. Spoon caramel onto the apple skin. Just make sure you are going to eat them right away if you are doing this. This is a much easier way for your little ones to enjoy this treat. It hopefully will be less messy than a full size apple!
Tips for making Caramel Apples at home:
- Have Fun! This is the most important tip for making these! This is a very fun and festive treat that everyone will enjoy!
- Supervise your kids. Melted Caramel can be very hot right out of the microwave. Be careful of this and the bowl it was heated up in.
- Use a good Caramel candy. I used these Kraft Caramels for my caramel, and they taste great!
- Use a bamboo stick. I used these Bamboo Caramel Apple Sticks for this recipe.
What are the best apples to use for caramel apples?
Our favorite apple in our family are Granny Smith Apples. They have an amazing crisp that is great for adding caramel too. You can also use your favorite apple as well. Fuji and Honeycrisp apples are great to use as well!
How to make these into Gourmet Caramel Apples:
So one of my favorite treats when I visit Disney World are their Gourmet Caramel Apples. Something about a caramel apple decorated like my favorite Disney character is amazing! Well you can also do some fun things with your apples at home too and make them "gourmet."
- Toppings: Once you coat your apples in the caramel roll them in a topping. Nuts, crushed candies, mini M&Ms, min chocolate chips, or sprinkles.
- Use Toothpicks for adding things like Jumbo Marshmallows.
- Once the caramel has cooled and hardened you can use frosting or syrups for additional decoration.
If you tried any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
- 6 small granny smith apples
- 11 oz caramels
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Place wooden apple skewers in clean and dry apples.
- Prepare optional toppings by placing them on a plate or in a shallow bowl.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside for later.
- Unwrap caramels and place them in a microwave safe bowl. Pour in heavy cream and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and stir and place back in the microwave for another 30 seconds. Repeat this until creamy and smooth.
- Dip apples into warm caramel one at a time then place on your prepared baking sheet or roll in toppings and then place in baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet with apples into the fridge for 30 minutes for caramel to firm. Serve and enjoy.