These Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are seriously cheesy! Covered in a homemade cheese sauce and then topped with more cheese, this recipe is one you are going to absolutely love!
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
I LOVE anything with cheese on it. When you bake it and it’s nice and melted, it’s even better! These Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are seriously cheesy, and one of my favorite side dish recipes. I served mine with roasted turkey breast and a salad. It was a hit that the entire family loved. This scalloped potato recipe is a new twist on a classic scalloped potato side dish.
Start with sliced potatoes, and then work on your cheese sauce. The trick to getting a good cheese sauce is to make it slowly. Start with your butter and flour and then add your half and half very slowly. Making sure to whisk while you add it in. You want it well combined and not have clumps of flour. Next comes the cheese, if you can hand shred a block of cheese it will usually melt a lot better then the pre-shredded cheese. Again slowly adding this to your saucepan a little at a time. I add about 1/4 cup at a time and allow it to melt and combine before adding more. It takes a little extra time but you will get a perfectly creamy cheese sauce.
Scalloped Potatoes covered in Cheese!
- 2 lbs Russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup Half and half
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups Shredded Colby jack cheese
- Optional: Fresh chives or fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash potatoes and set aside. Prepare a baking dish (I used 13'x9') with non stick cooking spray and set aside. Thinly slice potatoes set them aside.
- For your cheese sauce melt butter in a sauce pan on medium heat. Whisk in flour once melted and whisk constantly until well combined and golden brown. Slowly add in half and half whisking and allowing to combined before adding more. Slowly add 2 cups shredded cheese in adding just small amounts at a time. Allowing cheese to melt and combine before adding more. Once everything is well combine you should have a thick cheese sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill casserole dish with potatoes, pour on 1/2 cheese sauce, place more potatoes on top and the rest of the cheese sauce.. Cover with foil and bake for 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove foil and top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese and bake for an addition 10-15 minutes.
More Recipes for YOU: