What is Popcorn Salad you may be thinking? Well, it is going to be the most talked about salad you make at your next party! So unique but so tasty this dish is will surprise everyone who eats it.
I know, you are probably wondering what this is. Well, this is the best new salad you probably haven't heard of yet. Popcorn Salad is a surprise.
It is tasty, crunchy, and honestly really great. It is a side dish you can serve with anything but goes great some summer BBQ.
What is Popcorn Salad?
Popcorn Salad is a major twist on what you would expect from a traditional salad.
While having some of the main ingredients of a salad like celery, carrots and cheese, there is no lettuce. The lettuce is replaced by popcorn.
Mayo is used as the dressing. I know it different and very unique but believe me when I say this salad comes together so well.
- Celery - diced
- Sliced Water Chestnuts - canned and drained
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Carrots - shredded
- Bacon - Cooked and Crumbled. Use my Air Fryer Bacon recipe for a quick way to cook bacon.
- Minced Chives
- Popped Popcorn - follow directions on bag for the popcorn.
Step One - Place mayonnaise, diced celery, sliced water chestnuts, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, shredded carrots, ½ of cooked and crumbled bacon, and minced chives into a large mixing bowl. Mix all these ingredients together.
Step Two - Add popped popcorn to your large mixing bowl and mix again to coat all popcorn.
Step Three - Place salad in serving bowl and top with remaining cheese and bacon. Serve and enjoy.
Tips for using Popcorn in a salad:
- If using Microwave popcorn, sift through the popcorn and remove all the unpopped kernels. You do not want one of those getting mixed into the salad.
- You can use store bought popcorn, but don't get a flavored one or one that is super buttery. The extra butter they add will mix weird with the salad and mayo.
- Allow the popcorn to fully cool before mixing, so it does not melt the mayo.
Can this recipe be made ahead?
Yes, this recipe can definitely be made ahead of time. Make the salad as per the directions and set aside in a container.
Make the popcorn and do not mix into the salad. Store the salad in the refrigerator until ready. When you are ready to eat gently mix in the popcorn.
If you tried any of my recipes, I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Celery Diced
- 5 oz Sliced Water Chestnuts (can and drained)
- 1 ½ cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (divided)
- ¼ cup Shredded Carrots
- 8 slices Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons Minced Chives
- 6 cups Popped Popcorn
- Place mayonnaise, diced celery, sliced water chestnuts, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, shredded carrots, ½ of cooked and crumbled bacon, and minced chives into a large mixing bowl. Mix all these ingredients together.
- Add popped popcorn to your large mixing bowl and mix again to coat all popcorn.
- Place salad in serving bowl and top with remaining cheese and bacon. Serve and enjoy.