Stuffing is a classic holiday recipe and this Simple Classic Stuffing is the best. A few common spice cabinet stables later you have the best Simple Classic Stuffing recipe.
Can it really be Thanksgiving without the stuffing? Or the dressing as my Granny used to call it. Either way, this recipe has to be on your table this Thanksgiving! Making homemade stuffing can be a little intimidating to some but I promise you can make this one. It’s simple to make and you may have all the ingredients in your pantry already. I’ve made stuffing in the past with a lot of fresh herbs but wanted to make this recipe something easy to make so I did dry. A few common spice cabinet stables later you have the best Simple Classic Stuffing recipe.
How to make Simple Classic Stuffing:
Step one: Start by preheating your oven.
Step two: Places bread pieces on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes until dried out. You do not want to skip this step. It’s very important to start with dry bread. If you skip over this then your stuffing will end up like mush <– not good!
Step three: Once it’s dried place bread pieces in a large mixing bowl. Next, increase the heat on your oven and then prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray then set aside. Melt butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions and celery and cook until softened.
Step four: Pour everything into the mixing bowl with bread. Give it a good mix, I usually use tongs to make sure everything is getting tossed together but I don’t squash the bread. Next up, add all seasonings and 1/2 of chicken broth to bread and mix together.
Step five: In a separate bowl whisk together eggs and remaining broth. I always do this when I am adding my eggs to something that is already warm. If you add straight eggs to your bread they cook start to cook and you will end up with small pieces of scrambled eggs in your stuff.
Step six: Mix this together with bread mixture and add to a casserole dish. Top with reaming butter cut into small pieces and place evenly around stuff this will help everything to stay moist but also give the top of your stuffing a great color on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes covered and 40-45 minutes uncovered.
Wanna make this the day before??
After you baked it for 40-45 minutes covered remove it from the oven and allow it to cool. The next morning bake it for the remaining 40-45 minutes. I did the for Thanksgiving and it still turned out great!
More perfect side dish recipes:
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Vegetable Casserole
- Hashbrown Casserole
- Cranberry Jello Salad
- Cheesy Corn Casserole
- Green Bean Casserole
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
Classic side dish that you will love, and can be served at any meal, Simple Classic Stuffing
- 2 cups unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 loaf French bread diced into bite sized pieces,
- 1 1/2 cups onion (diced)
- 1 1/2 cups celery (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground sage
- 1 tablespoons Dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons Ground thyme
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups Low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F. Places bread pieces on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes until dried out. Make sure to not skip this set. It's very important to start with dry bread. Once dried place bread pieces in a large mixing bowl.
Increase heat to 350 degrees F. Prepare a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray then set aside.
- Melt 3/4 cups butter (1 1/2 stick) in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add onions and celery and cook until softened. This should take about 8-10 minutes. Pour everything into the mixing bowl with bread.
- Add all seasonings and 1/2 of chicken broth to bread and mix together.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs and remaining broth. Mix this together with bread mixture and add to casserole dish.
Top with reaming butter cut into small pieces and place evenly around stuff. Bake for 40-45 minutes covered** and 40-45 minutes uncovered.
** if you want to make this ahead of time allow to cool and place into fridge here. Bake the next day uncovered for the remaining 40-45 minutes. Add time as needed to make sure it is warm throughout.