A classic recipe that is simple to make with simple and cheap ingredients. This Beef and Rice Casserole is filled with ground beef, corn, broccoli, rice, and topped with lots of cheese!
Beef and Rice Casserole
I remember this recipe from childhood. My mom loved quick easy dinners and we never had a big budget for groceries so ingredients like ground beef and rice were on the menu a lot. It was cheap and easy to pick up at the store. It was one of my favorite meals and I was excited to make it now for my kids. I can be pretty picky about my rice dished. I don’t think dry rice! I just can’t do it. This recipe though was so creamy and yummy! And of course, topped with cheese!
Melted cheese is one of my most favorite foods. I mean cheese in general but when it’s melted it takes it to an entirely new level! To start this recipe I cooked the rice according to the package directions. In a skillet, I sautéed onions and garlic then added my beef and cooked it though. I then added my broccoli and corn. You can add any vegetable to this dish, green beans, carrots, or even peas. Broccoli and corn are my kid’s favorites so I knew it would be a winner with the entire family if I used those. I put everything in a casserole dish and topped it with cheese. This is a great recipe for freezing! At this step, you would want to let it sit and cool to room temperature then wrap foil over it and place it in the freezer. When you are ready to bake just remove it from the freezer and place it in the fridge the night before and then cook it when it’s dinner time. You might just want to add another 10-20 minutes depending on how cold it is when you bake.
How to make Beef and Rice Casserole
- Preheat oven and prepare a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a skillet sauté onions and garlic then add ground beef and cook through.
- Once cooked drain fat and return to stove top.
- Cook frozen broccoli according to package directions, Drain and add broccoli and corn to skillet with ground beef.
- Add rice, beef mixture, and cream of mushroom soup to a prepared casserole dish and mix well. Top with Colby jack cheese and bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Can I use fresh broccoli and corn?
You can use fresh, frozen, or canned. For this recipe, I prepared it then mixed it all together so you can use any type you want. Just prepare it according to those directions before adding it to the casserole.
Incase you have any leftover rice, here are a few more of my favorites to try out:
Chicken and Rice Casserole: This one is a classic! It’s been a hit with my family and my readers, it’s basic but delicious.
Cheesy Salsa Chicken and Rice Casserole: This one is another favorite and a twist on the classic. Loaded with cheese and salsa and baked. It’s pretty amazing.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole: I love enchiladas and this casserole dish has always been a favorite of mine. Just a few simple ingredients and dinner is ready.
- 4 cups Cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons Minced garlic
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 14 oz Corn (1 can)
- 2 cups Frozen broccoli
- 20.5 oz Cream of mushroom soup (2 cans)
- 2 cups Colby jack cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a casserole dish with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a skillet warm olive oil on medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add ground beef and cook though. Drain fat and return to stove top.
- Meanwhile cook frozen broccoli according go package directions, Drain and add broccoli and corn to skillet with ground beef. Allow to cook together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice, beef mixture, and cream of mushroom soup to prepared casserole dish and mix well. Top with Colby jack cheese and bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.