Need a simple dinner recipe that is ready in less than 30 minutes, look no further. This Chicken Enchilada Casserole is simple to make and full of flavor. We love serving this with Roasted Broccoli and Homemade Corn Salsa.
This recipe is a twist on the classic chicken casserole.
It's so simple to make you only need 6 simple ingredients and less than 30 minutes.
It does have some bold flavor with the enchilada sauce so be careful and look at the label before you buy.
I used a mild and my hubby still thought it was spicy (he's a wimp) but with sour cream he loved it.
How to make this Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
Step one: Start by cooking rice according to package directions. Once cooked then set aside.
Step two: Next preheat the oven and prepare a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Step three: Combined your cooked rice, cooked chicken, corn, enchilada sauce, and 1 cup of cheese and mix well. Add all of this to a casserole dish.
Step four: Last top with remaining cheese and bake until cheese is melted. Serve topped with sour cream.
What you need:
For this recipe, I used a 9x13 casserole dish but a slightly smaller casserole dish will work for this recipe.
This recipe calls for cooked and shredded chicken. If you want to save time for recipes like this then check out my recipe for all-purpose slow cooker chicken.
You can make chicken once and use it for recipes for the entire week. I love using it for salads or soups for quick lunch and tossing it in casseroles like this for dinner.
Freezing Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
To freeze this recipe follow directions until step 2. Making sure chicken and rice is cooked still and everything mixed together well.
Place the casserole in a freezer friendly aluminum casserole dish. Cover tightly and then place in the freezer.
Freeze for 2-3 months then place in the fridge to thaw overnight when you are ready to cook. Once thawed then cook according to directions.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 cups Instant rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups Chicken (cooked and shredded)
- 1 can Corn (drained)
- 28 oz Enchilada sauce
- 2 cups Shredded Mexican blend cheese (divided)
- ½-1 cup Sour cream (for topping)
- Start by cooking rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combined cooked rice, cooked chicken, corn, enchilada sauce, and 1 cup of cheese and mix well. Add this to a casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve topped with sour cream.Optional garnish: Fresh diced cilantro.