Creamy and cheesy! This Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup is loaded with veggies and comes out great each time.
This Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup is one of my favorite soup recipes. It's like a loaded potato soup married broccoli cheese soup and we get this delicious creamy and flavorful soup!
Step one: Get started by melting 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pot. Then add in your carrots, celery, and onions and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
Step two: Next add in minced garlic and allow to cook for 30 seconds.
- Tip: Garlic can easily burn which is why we don't add it with the other vegetables.
Step three: Now to your pot you can add in your cubed red potatoes and chicken broth. Then season with thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Step four: Now you can add in your broccoli florets and allow to cook for an additional 5 minutes. I always add my broccoli in later do it does not become over cooked and mushy.
Step five: Next you can heat the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a separate sauce pan.
Step six: Once butter is melted add in flour whisking constantly for 30-60 seconds. Slowing add in milk while whisking. Last whisk in heavy cream and then pour this into your soup.
- Tip: When pouring in the milk I add a little bit at a time while whisking. Allowing the flour to absorb before adding in more milk. Taking your time will help ensure that this is really creamy!
Step seven: Last just remove the soup from heat and add shredded cheddar and shredded parmesan. Mix well until cheese is melted. And now you can serve and enjoy.
Can I freeze this soup? I usually suggest not freezing a recipe with such a heavy dairy base. If you want to make this ahead of time you can make it 2-3 days ahead of time and store it in the fridge in an airtight container.
Do I have to use cream? You can use regular milk in the place of the heavy cream but it will take away from the thick and creamy texture of this soup.
Can I use frozen broccoli? For this soup fresh broccoli is the best way to go but if you only have frozen it will work.
If you tried any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 cup carrots (sliced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- ¾ cup yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 4 cups red potatoes (cubed)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 6 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pot. Add in carrots, celery, and onions. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in minced garlic and allow to cook for 30 seconds.
- Next to your pot add in cubed red potatoes and chicken broth. Season with thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add in broccoli florets and allow to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a separate sauce pan.
- Once butter is melted add in flour whisking constantly for 30-60 seconds. Slowing add in milk while whisking. Pour this into your soup while stirring constantly until the two are combined.
- Mix in heavy cream then remove soup from heat. Add shredded cheddar and shredded parmesan. Mix well until cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy.