This Chicken Stir Fry recipe can be made in 20 minutes or less. It's loaded with chicken, veggies, and flavor.
If you want more easy take-out inspired dinners make sure to check these other recipes like Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken or really simple Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken.
What is Chicken Stir Fry?
Stir fry is a Chinese cooking technique that has spread to other parts of Asia. It's a quick way to fry food in a small amount of oil and traditional is cooked in a wok.
This recipe is how I like to make it for my family. It's simple to make and I use simple ingredients I can find in my local grocery store. The best part is I make it all in one skillet.
Chicken Stir Fry Sauce:
For this recipe, I make a simple sauce to bring lots of flavor to this dish. Here is what you will need to make the sauce.
- Corn starch: this will help thicken your sauce.
- Vegetable broth: you can also use chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Honey: this is perfect to bring a touch of sweetness to your dish.
- Toasted sesame oil
- Ground ginger
- Crushed red pepper flakes: you can always skip this if you are worried about the spice but I find it's just enough without being to spicy even for my kids.
Stir Fry Vegetables:
You can easily add or take away from these vegetables to make it a good fit for your family. This is what we use for this recipe.
- Bell Pepper
- Snap Peas
If you want to add more vegetables or switch them out you can also try adding these to your recipe.
- Snow Peas
- Green Beans
Step one: Start by dicing your chicken breast into bite-size pieces and season with salt and pepper. Then go ahead and heat just 1 tablespoon of oil in a deep skillet and cook chicken until cooked through.
Step two: Once your chicken is cooked through remove it from the skillet and set it aside. Once removed go ahead and heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet.
Step three: Next add your carrots and onions to your skillet and allow to cook for 4 minutes.
Step four: Place your broccoli florets, red bell pepper, snap peas, and minced garlic into the skillet with the carrots and onions. Cook for an additional 4 minutes until vegetables are softened.
Step five: Meanwhile prepare your sauce. Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
Step six: Add chicken back to the skillet with veggies and pour sauce over everything and mix. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
Step seven: This step is optional but when you are ready to serve we enjoy it over rice and topped with sesame seeds.
Cutting your vegetables: When dicing my vegetables I try to make sure they are all similar in size. This will help everything cook evenly.
Soy Sauce: For this recipe, I used a reduced-sodium soy sauce. Regular soy sauce has a very salty taste so make sure to add it to taste.
Serving Ideas: You can serve this recipe over rice or make it low carb and serve it over cauliflower rice.
If you tried any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 pound chicken breast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil (divided)
- 1 ½ cups carrots (sliced)
- 1 cup yellow onion (sliced)
- 2 ½ cups broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Dice chicken breast into bite size pieces and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a deep skillet and cook chicken until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet.
- Add carrots and onions to your skillet and allow to cook for 4 minutes.
- Place broccoli florets, red bell pepper, snap peas, and minced garlic into the skillet with the carrots and onions. Cook for an additional 4 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile prepare your sauce. Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Add chicken back to the skillet with veggies and pour sauce over everything and mix. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
- Optional: Serve over rice and top with sesame seeds.
Leave a Reply