The Grinder Sandwich which originates from New England is another take on a sub sandwich or hoagie. The key difference in this sandwich is the lettuce salad that is made for the topping.
The Grinder Sandwich is a classic sandwich that has its origins back to New England. Similar to a hoagie or sub sandwich.
A sandwich made with layered deli meat and cheese, the main difference between this and other sandwiches like it is the veggie salad that is put on top of the meat.
The name "grinder" comes from type of crusty bread used to make this sandwich. The crusty bread means you have to "grind" the bread when taking a bit.
How to make a Grinder Sandwich:
Prep: Start by slice your bread in half long ways. Next prepare your veggie salad by dicing your pepperoncini and onions.
Salad: Mix with the seasoning and mayonnaise and then mix in and coat the shredded lettuce. Begin building your grinder by placing your meat and cheese on the bottom half of the bread.
Assemble: Scoop some of the lettuce salad on top of the cheese and meat and then top with the other half of the bread. Serve with chips and enjoy!
Ingredients for Grinder Salad:
- Mayonnaise - I use Duke's mayonnaise for this recipe.
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Seasoning - I used dried oregano, Italian seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. You can add more or less to taste.
- Pepperoncini Peppers - that have been sliced. I bought them whole and sliced them myself.
- Red Onion - Very thinly sliced. This really helps them to get mixed into the salad well without bug bites of onion.
- Iceberg Lettuce - Iceburg is the best to use but you can also use Romaine lettuce if you prefer.
Grinder Sandwich Ingredients:
When it comes to your sub meat and cheese you can use any that you prefer but I made a more Italian inspired sub with this recipe.
- 6-inch sub rolls
- Sliced Deli Meat - I used Ham, Salami, and Pepperoni.
- Sliced Cheese - I used Provolone
Slice your sub rolls and then make the Grinder Salad.
Step One - Whisk all ingredients except lettuce. Once combined add your lettuce and toss to coat.
Directions for building the Grinder Sandwich:
Optional Step - Scoop out some bread from the top of your sub roll. This will create a boat for your salad to on onto your sandwich.
Step Two - Add grinder salad to your sandwich and serve.
What is Grinder Salad:
The Grinder Salad is what makes this more than just another hoagie. The crusty bread and fresh deli-cut meats and cheeses need something more than just a slap of mayo and piece of lettuce.
The grinder salad is the difference maker.
This simple salad is just a mayo-based dressing with some red wine vinegar and spices mixed together with onions, pepperoncini and the lettuce.
This is the perfect topping to make this grinder the best sandwich you ever had.
Tips for a good sandwich:
- Use Fresh Cut Deli Meats and Cheeses - There is a huge difference between getting deli sliced meat fresh from the deli or buying pre-packaged meat and cheese.
- Use Fresh Crusty Bread - You can use any type of bread you want with this, but a nice bakery fresh crusty roll or bun is the best in my opinion.
- The Grinder Salad is the Game Changer - No longer need to slather on mayo and a hunk of lettuce. This grinder salad will make a world of difference to the sandwich.
Try some of my other favorite sandwiches:
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches - Tender and juicy this Slow Cooker French Dip is full of flavor. Tossed on a bun and toasted with melted cheese, you will love this simple and delicious recipe.
Rotisserie Chicken Salad - This is a classic chicken salad recipe made with store bought rotisserie chicken. This Rotisserie Chicken Salad is full of flavor, creamy and absolutely delicious. My favorite way to serve it is on a croissant.
Turkey Salad - Leftover Turkey from dinner becomes an amazing lunch with this homemade Turkey Salad! Yes, this is the perfect lunch the day after Thanksgiving! Serve it on a croissant and everyone will love it!
If you tried any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup pepperoncini peppers (sliced)
- ¼ medium red onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce (shredded)
- 4 6 inch sub rolls
- ¼ pound deli sliced ham
- ¼ pound deli sliced salami
- ¼ pound deli sliced pepperoni
- ¼ pound sliced provolone
- Whisk all ingredients except lettuce. Once combined add your lettuce and toss to coat.
- Add ham, salami, pepperoni, and provolone evenly on each roll.
- Optional: Scoop out some bread from the top of your sub roll This will create a boat for your salad to on onto your sandwich.
- Add grinder salad to your sandwich and serve.
Leave a Reply