I've made this Sloppy Joe Casserole so many times for friends and family and every time someone asks me for the recipe.
It's really so simple to make but something so many people love. It's also the perfect meal for the freezer or to pass on to a friend in need.
Just make your sloppy joe mix, put in a casserole dish, and top with cornbread!
Easy dinner ready in less than 30 minutes or less!
How to make Sloppy Joe Casserole:
Sloppy Joe Casserole is pretty easy to make. I make my Sloppy Joe meat like normal, and then mix up a box of cornbread mix.
Once the meat is cooked, layer it on the bottom of your casserole dish.
Pour your cornbread mix over the top of the Sloppy Joe meat, and make sure it covers every inch of the casserole dish.
Bake and serve when done!
- Corn Bread Mix - 8.5 oz which is one box.
- Ground Beef - You can use ground turkey as well.
- Onion - That have been chopped.
- Tomato Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasoning Salt - You can use regular salt if you don't have seasoning but use less then you would seasoning or just season to taste.
Step One - Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Step Two - In a skillet cook ground beef and diced onion on medium heat.
Step Two continued - Add seasoning salt to ground beef. Cook ground beef until fully brown
Step Two continued - Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce.
Step Three - In a separate bowl mix together your cornbread, egg, and milk.
- My cornbread mix called for 1 egg and ⅓ cup milk, double-check your box and adjust as needed.
Step Four - Place your sloppy joe mix into a casserole dish. Spoon in cornbread mix evenly on top of sloppy joe mix. (Yes, the uncooked cornbread mix)
Step Five - Bake for 20-25 minutes or until you can poke the top with a fork, and it comes out clean.
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
You can make this casserole ahead of time. You can make your Sloppy Joe meat up to 3 days in advance.
If you need to make the whole casserole in advance, I recommend only 1 day in advance.
The cornbread crust will get soggy the longer it is stored.
Just due to the type of topping it is, the longer it is stored the quicker it needs to be eaten.
How to Freeze Sloppy Joe Casserole:
For this recipe, I freeze it without the cornbread topping. I cook and mix the meat according to package directions.
Once cooled place it in a freezer dish and into the freezer. This should be good in the freezer for 4-6 months.
Once you are ready to cook remove from the freezer and place in the fridge 24 hours before cooking to allow to thaw.
Add to a casserole dish then mix cornbread mix and place it on top. Cook according to instructions.
I have not tried freezing this recipe with the cornbread on top mixed or cooked. I didn't want my bread soggy and find just mixing it takes little time and bakes better.
Want even more sloppy Joe recipes? Try these next:
Baked Sloppy Joes: These are my kids favorites!! The best sloppy Joe mix baked into a little fluffy biscuit pocket.
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes: A new way to do a classic. This easy recipe will soon be a family favorite.
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes: One of my favorites now made in the slow cooker. Cooking low and slow and full of flavor.
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 8.5 oz corn bread mix (1 box)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup onion (chopped)
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a skillet cook ground beef and diced onion on medium heat. Add seasoning salt to ground beef. Cook ground beef until fully brown. Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce.
- In a separate bowl mix together your cornbread, egg, and milk. (My cornbread mix called for 1 egg and ⅓ cup milk, double-check your box and adjust as needed)
- Place your sloppy joe mix into a casserole dish. Spoon in cornbread mix evenly on top of sloppy joe mix. (Yes the uncooked cornbread mix)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until you can poke the top with a fork and it comes out clean.