The BEST way to make Sloppy Joes. This recipe is simple and delicious and will quickly become your new favorite way to make Sloppy Joes. Ground beef simmered in tomato sauce sweetened by brown sugar and seasoned with Worcestershire sauce.
Sloppy Joes are a classic dinner sandwich that have been being made since the early 1930s. They were originated in Iowa as a "loose meat sandwich" by a chef named Joe.
Ground beef sautéed in ketchup or tomato sauce mixed together with diced onions and seasonings built on a hamburger bun makes this classic recipe what it is. Just like it's name it is sloppy to eat, but so enjoyable at the same time.
How to make this classic dish:
Sloppy Joes are super easy to make! Almost as easy as taco night in my opinion!
All you need to do is cook your ground beef, add the remaining ingredients once the beef is fully cooked, and then simmer for a little bit.
Grab some buns and make a sandwich, top it on a salad, or just eat it out of a bowl!
Sloppy Joes are a great quick and easy meal your family will love!
- Ground Beef
- Onion (diced)
- Tomato sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasoning Salt
- Hamburger Buns
Step one: Cook and crumble ground beef along with diced onions. Once cooked drain fat.
Step two: After you have drained the fat from your cooked beef and onions add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Step Three - Allow to simmer on low for 25-30 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns and enjoy.
- Tip: If you want your Sloppy Joes to be thicker, mix some corn starch and water together and add while simmering.
Sloppy Joes are a classic meal that is so easy to make, and tastes amazing. My husband likes to add a slice of cheddar cheese to his and have a Cheesy Sloppy Joe!
Can I use Manwich?
Manwich is the store version of Sloppy Joe sauce. It is meant to make Sloppy Joes easier to make. But let's be honest, Sloppy Joes are super easy to make without this.
So yes, you can use it as your sauce, but it's just as easy to make on your own!
What else can I do with my Sloppy Joe meat?
Obviously the most popular way to do this on a hamburger bun, but there are some fun other ways to eat this as well.
- On top of Spaghetti - Now this is not exactly like my Cincinnati Chili, but it is a slow alternative. Cincinnati Chili is a thick meat based chili that is topped on spaghetti noodles with lots of cheese. You can do this with Sloppy Joe meat as well!
- On a Salad - Yes, on a bed of shredded Iceberg lettuce, with tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and cheese this makes a great salad! You don't even need a dressing, however if you do, Thousand Island is really great!
- On Nachos - Believe it or not, this is one of my favorite alternate ways to eat Sloppy Joes. Now one thing I recommend, cut your tomato sauce in half and get rid of the brown sugar, and use your favorite salsa as the additional wet ingredient. Simmer in the salsa mix and then top on chips, with cheese and other nacho toppings.
Try some of my other Sloppy Joe recipes!
Slow Cooker Pizza Sloppy Joes - This easy dinner is one of my family's favorite recipes. Easy Slow Cooker Pizza Sloppy Joes are tossed in the slow cooker then served in buns.
Taco Sloppy Joes - Two of my all time favorite foods coming together in once amazing dish. These Taco Sloppy Joes are so yummy and a family dinner that everyone is going to love.
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes - These Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes are so simple to make and full of flavor. I topped them with ranch dressing and served them on a bun. Plus this recipe can be made in 30 minutes or less.
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup onion (diced)
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 4 buns Hamburger buns
- Cook and crumble ground beef along with diced onions. Once cooked drain fat.
- To your cooked beef and onions add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Allow to simmer on low for 25-30 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns and enjoy.