Super creamy and cheesy Stove Top Mac and Cheese. You are going to love this simple recipe, plus it's a hit with the kids!
Mac and cheese is my kid's all-time favorite food! I mean can you blame them, it's so good! My littlest actually doesn't really love pasta, he is my good eater and could eat fruits and veggies all day long! If he does eat pasta though it has to be covered in cheese. My oldest, on the other hand, is more of a boy after my heart and loves pasta. We both could eat it in about any form but covered in cheese is defiantly our favorite way to eat it. If you love Mac and cheese as much as we do then check out my other recipes next.
Mac and Cheese Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Pizza Mac and Cheese
- Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese
- Mac and Cheese with Smoked Sausage
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Mac and Cheese Casserole
How to make Stove Top Mac and Cheese:
For this Stove Top Mac and Cheese, I started by cooking my noodles according to the package directions. Then I drained them and set them aside while I worked on the cheese sauce. Now in a large saucepan (make sure you have enough room to make the cheese sauce and then add the noodles back in later) you want to start by making a flour and butter roux. I added butter to my pan and as soon as it was melted added the flour. You want to whisk this constantly for 2-3 minutes. It can burn really easily so I like to keep the temp pretty low until it has turned a golden brown then add in your milk. Keep whisking until you feel like roux you made is well combined with the milk. Next, it's time for the cheese. I added in about a cup at a time and didn't add more until that cheese was melted. If you add it all at once I find that the cheese will get clumpy and not melt to a creamy sauce. Once you season your cheese sauce you can add in your noodles!
Have leftover Elbow macaroni try these recipes next:
American Goulash: This classic recipe is my husbands all-time favorite. He called it American chop suey but growing up we always called it goulash.
Cheeseburger Soup: I love soup! This one is so simple to make and a family favorite. It's all done in 30 minutes or less!
One Pan Taco Pasta: You know how I love taco anything and how I hate doing the dishes. So yeah this is the PERFECT dish for me!!
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
Stove Top Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound Elbow macaroni
- ½ cup Butter
- ⅓ cup Flour
- 5 cups Milk more or less to taste)
- 4 cups Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- Cook macaroni according to box instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter on medium/low heat. Add flour and whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly mix in milk and smooth. Add more or less milk to get the thickness of the sauce to how you like it. Simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken still whisking occasionally.
- Slowly add in cheese about a cup at a time whisking and allowing to melt before adding more. Season cheese sauce with seasoning salt and pepper. Add cooked macaroni to the saucepan and mix until well combined and all noodles are coated in cheese.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes to thicken. Serve and enjoy!