Creamy and cheesy this Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole is a simple dinner recipe that your family will eat up! I mixed sour cream, cheese, and ham in with hash brown potatoes and baked.
This recipe is close to my all-time favorite Cheesy Potato Casserole, but I added some ham and called it dinner.
So yes, this Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole was so simple to make and tastes AMAZING! It's the perfect recipe for your leftover ham.
This can easily be served as a side dish or make some sides and serve it as the main course.
How to make Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole:
A Ham Potato Casserole in my opinion is one of the best dinners to make. Start by mixing all your ingredients together in a large bowl.
I start by mixing the potatoes and onions first, then I add everything else.
Once everything is mixed and coated well add to your casserole dish. Top with more cheese and then bake.
- Frozen Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes: You can use southern style as well.
- Frozen Minced Onions
- Sour Cream
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Butter: I used unsalted butter and then melted it.
- Cheese: Shredded cheddar cheese.
- Ham: That has been cooked and diced. This is the perfect recipe for leftover ham!
Step one: Get started by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Step two: Next place frozen hash browns and minced onions a large mixing bowl and mix until combined.
Step three: Next add your sour cream, cream of chicken soup, melted butter, salt, ham and 2 cups shredded cheese. Then mix well.
Step four: Place your mixed ingredients into a 9X13 casserole dish and top with ½ cup remaining shredded cheese.
Step five: Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
Make Ahead Instructions:
Refrigerating Instructions: To save you some time on a busy cooking day try mixing this the day before.
Prepare everything but instead of baking top your casserole with foil and place it in the refrigerated for up to two days.
Remove from the fridge and remove foil and bake according to directions.
Mix your casserole according to directions in a freezer-safe casserole dish.
Cover with plastic wrap then foil and freeze up to 3 months.
Tips for a great casserole:
- Use the right casserole dish: The casserole dish you choose will have a big impact on how your casserole cooks. A shallow casserole dish will result in a crispier or crunchier top. A deep dish will result in a creamier or in this case cheesier casserole.
- When using frozen ingredients do not allow them to thaw too much in preparation. Thawing too much before hand could make your casserole soupy. Yes, using frozen potatoes will release more water or liquid into the casserole, but the cook time should offset that.
- Allow your casserole to set before serving. Plan to allow your casserole to set for about 15 minutes for serving. This will allow any liquid to set and cool down.
Try some of my other favorite casseroles:
Cheesy Potato Casserole - Are you ready to try the BEST, yes I said it the BEST, side dish recipe? I have to limit making this Cheesy Potato Casserole to holiday time, or when guests are over because I could eat up the entire thing!
Tater Tot Casserole - This Tater Tot Casserole is one of the best casseroles you will ever make. Hearty and cheesy this casserole is going to be a favorite for many dinners to come!
Chicken and Rice Casserole - This simple Chicken and Rice Casserole only take a few ingredients and it bakes in 15 minutes or less. It's creamy and cheesy and a recipe that you are going to love. This is a great recipe to make and serve a large group of people or the next potluck you got to!
If you tried any of my recipes, I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- 24 oz Frozen Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Frozen Minced Onions
- 2 cups Sour Cream
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- ½ cup Butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 ½ cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (divided)
- 3 cups Ham (cooked and diced)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl place frozen hash browns and minced onions and mix.
- Add sour cream, cream of chicken soup, melted butter, salt, ham, and 2 cups shredded cheese. Mix well.
- Place your mixed ingredients into a 9X13 casserole dish and top with ½ cup remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.