This Meatloaf Recipe is a classic. Made with lean ground beef it’s full of flavor and perfectly moist, I topped it all off with a brown sugar glaze.
Meatloaf is a classic and this Meatloaf Recipe is easily my favorite one. This recipe is simple to make and nice and moist. Meatloaf gets a bad name for being dry but I think I found the trick, ketchup! I served this old classic to my parents when they came to visit and they loved it. To me a fresh garden salad and mashed potatoes are the perfect pairings but if you want more side dish ideas out there.
Sides to serve with this recipe:
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Ranch Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Bake Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
Here is a quick tip when making a meatloaf:
- Stick with lean ground beef. All the fat will come out and sit at the bottom and using a lean ground beef will mean less fat pooling at the bottom of your pan or baking sheet.
- Use foil. When using a pan or a baking sheet you want to use foil for easy cleanup and removal.
- If using a loaf pan I used a 9×5 loaf pan.
- When you are mixing your ground beef and the rest of the ingredients make sure to not overmix. You want to mix it until they are all combined then form your loaf.
- Give your meatloaf time to cool slightly before serving. This will help you slice it without it falling apart.
Meatloaf Recipe Instructions:
One: You want to start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
Two: Prepare a loaf pan or baking sheet with foil and set aside.
Three: Mix together ground beef, finely minced onion, eggs, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and 1/2 cup of ketchup. Gently mix with hands and then add to a loaf pan or if using a baking sheet form into a loaf and set it on your prepared baking sheet.
Four: Mix remaining 1/4 cup of ketchup with brown sugar and mustard. Add this to the top of your meatloaf.
Five: Allow baking for 1 hour and 15-30 minutes or until your meatloaf is cooked through. Allow to cool and settle for several minutes then slice and serve.
For my topping, I kept it really simple. I used;
- Brown Sugar
Just whisk those ingredients together and top it on your meatloaf before baking.
How long to cook a Meatloaf:
Cooking time can, of course, vary depending on your oven and even your location. I find my meatloaf takes a good hour and a half to get cooked all the way through. I suggest after an hour you check your meatloaf temperature. Once your meatloaf reaches a safe temperature of 160 degrees F or higher then it is ready.
How to freeze Meatloaf:
- Uncooked: You can mix and freeze your meatloaf before baking it. To do this prepare your loaf then wrap in plastic wrap and place in a large freezer bag. When you are ready to bake it allow it to thaw in the fridge for at 24 hours and then bake according to directions.
- Cooked: You can also bake the meatloaf and then freeze. You want to first allow it to cool completely then wrap your loaf in plastic wrap and place in a large freezer bag. And again When you are ready to bake it allow it to thaw in the fridge for at 24 hours and then bake according to directions.
More ground beef recipes for you, check them out!
Baked Meatballs: My favorite ways to make meatballs and so good! Add them on top of pasta or serve them on a sub.
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili: This simple slow cooker recipe is a favorite with my readers. So simple and so good.
Honey BBQ Meatloaf: Another great meatloaf recipe but this one was a little sweetness!
Watch Jennie make this MeatloafRecipe on this cooking episode.
- 2 pounds Ground beef (lean)
- 1 small White onion (finely minced)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2+1/4 cup Ketchup (divided)
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Mustard
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a loaf pan (9x5) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl add ground beef, finely minced onion, eggs, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and 1/2 cup of ketchup. Gently mix with hands and then add to loaf pan.
Mix remaining 1/4 cup of ketchup with brown sugar and mustard. Add this to the top of your meatloaf. Allow to bake for 1 hour and 15-30 minutes or until your meatloaf if cooked through. Allow to cool and settle for several minutes then slice and serve.
Recipe by Jennie at The Diary of a Real Housewife