This is a recipe you will want to try! The World’s Best Mashed Potatoes, simple to make and of course tastes amazing! Make sure to give this recipe a try asap!
World’s Best Mashed Potatoes
Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners should be centered around mashed potatoes. It’s not only my favorite side dish but easily my favorite food. My first Thanksgiving after I was married we hosted at my house. I made these mashed potatoes because I knew they would win everyone over. I was right, everyone loved them. The only embarrassing part was I ended up making a few to many for our small family. I made over 10 pounds of potatoes, but at least everyone got seconds.
Mashed Potato Recipes:
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Sour Cream and Ranch Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Here I am with my sister and for a good laugh my embarrassing amount of mashed potatoes that I served as just one of my side dishes for Thanksgiving!
So maybe your mashed potatoes shouldn’t have that much focus at the dinner table, but if you are making the World’s Best Mashed Potatoes they will definitely steal the show! And if you make 10 lbs of potatoes, and then try to stuff them all in a large pasta dish and they measure about 2 feet high then they will DEFINITELY steal the show.
How to make Mashed Potatoes:
Step One: Add potatoes to a pot and cover with water. Cook until potatoes are tender.
Step Two: Drain your potatoes and then return them to the pot.
Step Three: On low heat add in butter and cream cheese and start mashing.
Step Four: Once creamy slowly add half and half and milk.
Step Five: Keep mashing then add seasoning salt and pepper. Stir and place in a casserole dish.
Step Six: Add remaining butter to the top and bake.
Will baking dry out my mashed potatoes:
I have had a few people wonder how baking the potatoes does not dry them out. I have tested this recipe several times and my potatoes always end up creamy and delicious. Baking it them helps get that thick and creamy texture and the rich flavor with the melted butter. I would say just trust me on this one, these potatoes are amazing.
What potatoes to use for mashed potatoes:
While any potato would work for mashed potatoes and can easily be substituted I love using russet potatoes for this recipe.
How to make these potatoes ahead of time.
These mashed potatoes are perfect to make the day before. I do it each holiday. One less thing to worry about the day off. After cooking place them in a casserole dish and allow to cool. Cover with foil and place in the fridge. The next day add your butter to the top and bake low until warmed through.
World’s Best Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds Russet potatoes (pealed and diced)
- 1/2 cup Butter (divided)
- 4 oz Cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Add peeled and diced potatoes to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender. Drain your potatoes and then return them to the pot.
- Return pot with potatoes to the stove on low heat. Add 5 tbsp of butter and cream cheese to the pot and start mashing.
- Once creamy slowly add half and half and milk. Add just a little at a time until you get the consistency that you want.
- Keep mashing then add seasoning salt and pepper. Stir and place in a casserole dish.
- Add remaining 3 tbsp of butter to the top and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until butter is melted and potatoes are warm.