The perfect cookie covered in colorful sprinkles. These Sprinkle Cookies are a favorite of mine and is a must try cookie recipe. Change up the sprinkle color to go with any theme or holiday!
Sprinkles are kind of a favorite of mine! As a child I would pile them on my ice cream and now as an adult I still want to add them to just about any dessert.
This time around I rolled my cookie dough in sprinkles and baked them to make these delicious Sprinkle Cookies.
If you are making these for a holiday change up the colors to fit the themes like I did with these Christmas Sprinkle Cookies.
How to make Sprinkle Cookies:
These cookies are super fun and really easy to make. Make your batter by starting off mixing together the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients separately.
Mix them together and then form into the cookie dough balls. Roll those balls in the sprinkles, and then prepare them to be baked. No chilling required with these cookies.
- Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Egg (room temperature)
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- All-Purpose Flour
What Sprinkles are Best for Sprinkle Cookies:
I used nonpareil sprinkles instead of the classic jimmies that are typically used. I personally feel that these sprinkles bake better while the jimmies tend to melt.
I love these rainbow sprinkles for my everyday sprinkle cookies and they work perfect for birthdays! You can simply change the color of the sprinkles to go with any theme or holiday.
Step One: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cooking Tip: The parchment paper will help prevent the sprinkles from burning if they were directly touching the baking sheet.
Step Two: In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in your egg and vanilla extract.
Step Three: In a separate bowl whisk together baking soda, baking powder, and flour. Slowly mix this in with your wet ingredients. Mixing until well combined.
Step Four: Place sprinkles on a plate. Scoop out 1 ½ tbsp of dough and place in the sprinkles. Roll the dough until completely covered in sprinkles. Place sprinkle covered cookie onto your prepared baking sheet and press down.
Step Five: Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven then allow to cool on the baking sheet for 8-10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Cooking tip: To ensure a soft chewy cookie underbake a little. Pull them out a tad early at around 7-8 minutes and then allow them to finish cooking just on the pan.
What are Sprinkle Cookies?
Sprinkle Cookies are a basic sugar cookie recipe. What makes them special is that before they are baked, they are covered and rolled in colorful sprinkles!
Do you mix the Sprinkles in the Dough?
For this recipe I rolled the dough in sprinkled instead of mixing them into the dough. You can definitely mix them in the dough if you would like.
I do feel if you are going to mix them in the dough regular sprinkles would be best.
You would also want to chill the dough if you choose to mix the sprinkles in the dough.
Do I need to chill this cookie dough?
For a lot of my cookie recipes, I have you all chill the dough. For this one I do not.
The reason for that is since I am not mixing the sprinkles in the dough and am instead rolling the cookie dough balls in the sprinkles, I do not chill them.
Chilling them does tend to harden the dough and dry it out a tad.
When rolling the dough in the sprinkles you need the oils and fats of the cookie dough to help the sprinkles stick to the dough better.
Try some of my other Sprinkle Cookies:
Gideon's Bakehouse Sprinkle Funfetti Cookie - These giant Sprinkle Funfetti Cookies are inspired by Gideon's Bakehouse at Disney Springs. Oversized cookies loaded with sprinkles.
Chocolate Christmas Sprinkle Cookie - These Chocolate Christmas Sprinkle Cookies make the perfect Christmas cookie! Soft and gooey and full of Christmas cheer.
If you tried this recipe or any of my recipes, I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and YOUTUBE.
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ¼ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in your egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk together baking soda, baking powder, and flour. Slowly mix this in with your wet ingredients. Mixing until well combined.
- Place sprinkles on a plate. Scoop out 1 ½ tbsp of dough and place in the sprinkles. Roll the dough until completely covered in sprinkles. Place sprinkle covered cookie onto your prepared baking sheet and press down.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven then allow to cool on the baking sheet for 8-10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Delicious! They spread more than I expected and I baked them almost 14 minutes. I froze some of the unbaked cookie balls without sprinkles to enjoy at a later date.
Wonderful cookies that were easy and quick to make. My five year old loved them.