Perfectly juicy breaded chicken on top of spaghetti. Nothing beats this classic Baked Chicken Parmesan. It's one of my favorite comfort foods.
Chicken Parmesan or Chicken Parmigiana as it is sometimes called is a classic dish of breaded chicken on a bed of pasta topped with marinara sauce and parmesan cheese.
It is one of the most popular chicken recipes in the world and a favorite of my family. This recipe will help you bring this amazing dish home to your family.
How to make Baked Chicken Parmesan:
I know I try to bring you all easy to make recipes, and yes this one is a little bit more time consuming and has a few more steps than my other recipes. I know the end result will be super enjoyable for you though!
We bread the chicken, cook the noodles, make the sauce and bake the chicken. Yes there are a lot of steps but the meal will be worth the time. Your family will enjoy your hard work and dedication to this classic dinner.
- Chicken Breasts (boneless and skinless)
- Bread Crumbs
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Parsley Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- Marinara Sauce
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Step one: Start by pounding chicken to flatten. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- How to flatten chicken: I usually place my chicken in-between parchment paper and use a rolling pin to flatten it slightly. This will help from chicken juice or pieces from getting all over your chicken.
Step two: Next you want to bread your chicken. Go ahead and mix together your bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and parsley flakes then place in a shallow bowl. Then in a separate bowl whisk together your eggs. Finally in another shallow bowl whisk together flour, salt, and pepper.
- Safety Tip: I recommend using tongs or gloves when handling the raw chicken breasts. This will help keep a safer cooking environment.
Step three: Place your chicken in the flour first, then into the eggs allow the extra to drip off, and last the bread crumbs and cheese. Place prepared chicken on your baking sheet and repeat until all chicken is coated
Step four: Spray chicken heavily with nonstick cooking spray. If you would rather you can also brush oil over your chicken. Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and at a safe temperature.
- Cooking Tip: This step will help your chicken stay moist. You could also use oil or melted butter and brush it onto our chicken.
Step five: Remove from oven and add 3-4 tablespoons of marinara sauce to the top of each chicken breast then evenly sprinkle on mozzarella cheese to each chicken breast. Place chicken back into the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Optional Step: Instead of shredded mozzarella you can use a slice of provolone at this step.
Step six: Meanwhile prepare spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain and then mix in marinara sauce. Serve prepared spaghetti with prepared chicken breast on top.
Chicken Parmesan vs Chicken Parmigiana:
While you may be wondering about this dishes roots there is no difference between the two meals.
While Chicken Parmesan is English and Chicken Parmigiana is more Italian there is no difference between the two names.
And to be honest, the Italian name is the only thing Italian about this dish. While it does utilize traditional Italian cooking methods, this dish is very much American.
Change up to this classic dish:
This dish is easily made into two other classic dishes Veal Parmesan and Eggplant Parmesan.
If you are going to make veal or eggplant make sure you follow the instructions above, and bread your veal or eggplant then bake them. Do everything else the same and enjoy that meal.
One other additional thing you can do is to pan fry up some bacon and crumble it or some pancetta. Add this once cooked to the top of the baked chicken when adding the sauce and cheese.
Since chicken is a staple in our house I have a few more favorites that I wanted to share with you. Let me know which one you try next.
If you tried any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below.
You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 4 chicken breast (boneless and skinless)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ⅔ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 oz spaghetti
- 32 oz marinara sauce
- ½ cup Shredded Mozzarella cheese (topping)
- Start by pounding chicken to flatten. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and parsley flakes then place in a shallow bowl. Whisked together eggs in a separate shallow bowl. In the last shallow bowl whisk together flour, salt, and pepper.
- Place your chicken in the flour first, then into the eggs allow the extra to drip off, and last the bread crumbs and cheese. Place prepared chicken on your baking sheet and repeat until all chicken is coated
- Spray chicken heavily with nonstick cooking spray. If you would rather you can also brush oil over your chicken. Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and at a safe temperature.
- Remove from oven and add 3-4 tablespoons of marinara sauce to the top of each chicken breast then evenly sprinkle on mozzarella cheese to each chicken breast. Place chicken back into the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile prepared spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain and then mix in marinara sauce. Serve prepared spaghetti with prepared chicken breast on top.
This chicken parm is the absolute best I have ever made, it was easy, juicy and oh so delicious
So glad to hear that!
Made this dish, so good!! Can I use chicken tenders ?
Yes tenders would work!
This is an amazing PERFECT recipe! I placed my chicken on a baking rack and placed it in a parchment paper lined baking pan. I sprayed the rack and both sides of the chicken with avocado oil and flipped my chicken once the top was brown. After flipping and just before placing the sauce and parmesean on the backside, I kicked the oven up to broil to really crisp up the crust. The chicken and oven were ready to quickly heat the sauce and melt the cheese. I also used GF Panko crumbs. The drippings from the parmesan cheese onto the payment paper were delicious!
So happy to hear that!!
Such a good recipe! Bravo!!
Thanks for giving us the idea!
Thank you so much for sharing! I have a family of picky eaters and this dish was so well loved, I did not have any leftovers. Into my recipe book it goes!!! Thanks again ~ A Grateful Mom
So glad you all enjoyed it!
This was a great recipe!! Thank you so much for sharing!
Thank you so much!
So good and easy! My 3 year old loves it too 🙂
By far one of the best chicken parm recipes I have used - this will be my staple recipe going forward! 🙂
So good !!!
So delicious! The whole family loved it!!!
Great recipe for first time chicken parm. I’m not exactly a beginner in the kitchen but I was a complete beginner to this dish. It turned out perfectly, thanks for sharing! 🙂
So happy to hear that! Thank you Stephanie!
It was delicious! My chicken didn’t brown very well but it tasted great nonetheless.
Love this and so easy! Family loved it. This is my second time making it.Thank you.
Very good. Family loves it
It’s in the oven now...
Just a note: your printable recipe doesn’t include mozzarella cheese but the instructions do. 😉 One more real dinner before school starts back tomorrow. Thanks!!
Thank you so much for catching that! it's fixed now!
Why didn't my chicken brown like yours in the picture? Did you pay get it first? Other than that, it's a good receipe.
In my experience I find I can get it brown if I flip the chicken over about 15 minutes into baking. Make sure you spray both sides of the chicken before you bake.
Great tip! Thanks for sharing Melissa.
Chicken parm is always a favorite in our house! YUMMY! Love that you also made sliders with the recipe. #client