The perfect winter soup. This Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is simple to make and works perfectly for leftover Christmas Ham.
Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
Soup is my kind of food. I love the cool weather in the fall and winter and cold weather food is my favorite. Stop and picture it. The snow falling, the fireplace going, and this Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup cooking on the stove top. All I need now is some fuzzy socks and a good hallmark movie and you have entered my happy place. My husband, on the other hand, hasn’t always been a soup fan like me. He would rather me make my Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole. Well, I usually make this for lunch for myself but this time I made it for dinner and he LOVED it! He even had the leftovers. Husband approved soup equals a win!
How to make Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup:
Step one: Warm butter in a large soup pot.
Step two: Add in diced carrots, celery, and onion. Cook until tender.
Step three: Next add in diced potatoes, corn, ham, and chicken broth.
Step four: Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step five: Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to cook covered on a simmer until potatoes are tender.
Step six: Remove from heat and add in your half and half and shredded cheese. Stir constantly until cheese is melted and well combined with soup.
- Ham: This recipe is PERFECT for a leftover holiday ham. We love serving it after Christmas and the entire family loves it.
- Seasoning: For this recipe, I just seasoned with salt and pepper. You can add in more or less to taste. I think the veggies and ham give the soup a wonderful flavor without adding to much.
- Potatoes: I like using russet potatoes for this soup but any soup you have will work fine.
Can I make this in the slow cooker:
To make this in the slow cooker just add in all ingredients except for your half and half and shredded cheese. Allow to cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 5-6 hours. Until potatoes and vegetables are tender and cooked through. Before serving add in half and half with the shredded cheese and mix until cheese is melted and well combined. Serve and enjoy.
A few more soup recipes you will love:
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup: I love a good slow cooker soup. It’s the perfect winter soup recipe and a must try.
Cheesy Sausage Potato Soup: This soup recipe is loaded with flavor and a readers favorite.
Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup: This one is possibly my all time favorite soup recipe. You have to try it.
Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup carrots (diced)
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 1/4 cup onion (diced)
- 4 cups russet potatoes (diced)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz ham (cooked and cubed)
- 15 oz corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cup Colby jack cheese (shredded)
- In a large pot warm butter over medium/high heat. Add diced carrots, celery, and onion. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add diced potatoes, corn, ham and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to cook covered on a shimmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and mix in half and half and shredded cheese. Stir constantly until cheese is melted and well combined with soup. Optional: additional cheese for garnish.