This Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is the best blend of Tex-Mex flavors in a soup. Loaded with cheese, cream and topped with corn chips this is a hearty soup everyone will love.
I make soups all year long. I could eat my Taco Soup every day for lunch. This Chicken Tortilla Soup is a classic Tex-Mex Soup that is loaded with chicken, beans and corn.
The cream and cheddar cheese make this extra creamy and topped with some corn chips for a nice crunch.
How to make Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup:
Start by sauteing your onions in a large soup or stock pot. Add in all your canned ingredients and broth.
Then add in the spices and chicken. Mix well and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer.
Remove from the heat and add in the cream and mix well. Serve it topped with some cheddar cheese, corn chips, fresh jalapenos, or cilantro.
- Oil- you can use whatever oil you prefer to use for cooking.
- Yellow Onion - diced
- Jalapeños - seeded and diced
- Garlic Cloves - that has been minced. You can also use pre-minced garlic
- Rotel - Rotel is canned tomatoes with green chilis.
- Corn - I used a canned corn
- Chicken Broth
- Taco Seasoning - Use a packet our make your own.
- Chicken - Precooked and shredded. Perfect for a rotisserie chicken or make my All-Purpose Chicken recipe for this.
- Heavy Cream
- Corn Chips or Tortilla Chips
Step One - Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add diced onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
Step Two - Add diced jalapeños and cook for an additional minute before adding in minced garlic to cook for 30 seconds.
Step Three - To the same pot add Rotel tomatoes, corn, black beans, and chicken broth. Season with taco seasoning and mix.
Step Four - Add in cooked and diced chicken then reduce heat to low and allow soup to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Step Five - Remove from heat and mix in heavy cream. Then mix in corn chips or tortilla strips and serve.
What to serve with tortilla soup:
I love serving my chicken tortilla soup with traditional taco ingredients.
Some tortilla chips to dip in the soup, yes, I used corn chips in the pictures.
Add some sour cream and cheddar cheese to the top of the soup. Sliced jalapenos will add some extra heat if you would like.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, soup is really simple to freeze. Once it's done allow it to cool completely then add it to a large freezer bag or into individual bags or freezer safe containers for a single serving.
Keep in the freezer for 3-4 months. Allow thawing in the fridge then reheat in the stovetop or microwave.
Try some of my other favorite soups:
Turkey Noodle Soup - This Turkey Noodle Soup is the perfect way to put your leftover Thanksgiving Turkey to good use! Tastes just like my Classic Chicken Noodle soup but made with turkey!
Crock-Pot Potato Soup - Add it to your slow cooker then walk away until dinner time. This Crock-Pot Potato Soup is the perfect potato soup, I topped mine with bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and green onions.
Broccoli Cheese Soup - This simple Broccoli Cheese Soup is creamy and rich and one of my favorite soup recipes.
Vegetable Soup - This hearty Vegetable Soup is full of flavor and really healthy for you. It makes a great dinner, and there will be a lot leftover for lunch!
If you tried any of my recipes, I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 2 small jalapeños (seeded and diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 20 oz Rotel (tomatoes with green chilies) (2 cans drained)
- 15 oz corn (1 can drained)
- 15 oz black beans (1 can drained and rinsed)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 oz taco seasoning
- 3 cup cooked and diced chicken
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 9 oz corn chips or tortilla strips
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add diced onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add diced jalapeños and cook for an additional minute before adding in minced garlic to cook for 30 seconds.
- To the same pot add Rotel tomatoes, corn, black beans, and chicken broth. Season with taco seasoning and mix.
- Add in cooked and diced chicken then reduce heat to low and allow soup to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in heavy cream. Then mix in corn chips or tortilla strips and serve.