This classic recipe is so simple to make and my family loved it! Ground beef patties in gravy, these Easy Salisbury Steak will need to be added to your menu this week.
I have to admit Salisbury Steak was my favorite growing up, but I always ate it from the microwave meals.
Well, I never knew what I was missing until I finally made it homemade!
This recipe is so good and so simple to make. I always serve mine with mashed potatoes and a vegetable or salad.
How to make Homemade Easy Salisbury Steak:
Start by preparing your Salisbury Steak Patties. When they are done set them aside and start making your gravy.
Add the steaks back to the gravy and allow them to get fully smothered and heated back up. Serve them over some mashed potatoes with your favorite veggies as sides.
- Ground Beef
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasoning Salt
- Onion - diced
- Garlic - minced
- Brown Gravy Mix
- Worcestershire Sauce
Step one: Get started by adding all ingredients for the patties into a large mixing bowl. Mix together well with hand and form 4 patties.
Place in a warm greased pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side medium/low heat. Remove patties from pan and set aside.
- Cooking Tip: No need to fully cook the patties here, as you will want to cook them a little later when adding them back to the gravy later.
Step two: Now add your oil to the warm pan. Add minced garlic and diced onions to the skillet and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes or until they have become slightly tender and translucent.
Step three: Next add your water to the pan and bring it to a boil. Whisk in gravy mix and mix until well blended. Then add Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and mix.
Step four: Place all patties back into your pan with the gravy and allow to cook on low for 2-3 more minutes.
Step five: Serve and enjoy I served mine with mashed potatoes and green beans.
What is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury Steak is not actually steak at all. It is ground beef made into patties and then covered in a thick brown gravy.
The patties are shaped and formed like steaks, which is where the name comes from.
It's also served best alongside mashed potatoes which is a classic side for steaks.
Tips for good Salisbury Steak:
- Do not drain or clean the skillet after cooking the patties. Use the drippings to help brown the onions and garlic. It will add extra flavor to the gravy.
- Optional use an egg. Add 1 egg to the patties when forming if you are having issues with them forming and staying together. The egg is a nice binder to use. For this recipe I did not use one, but you can if you need to.
- Use the gravy to finish cooking the patties. This will really allow the flavor of the gravy to cook into the patties for the final touch.
More Classic Family Recipes to Try:
Classic Lasagna: This Easy Classic Lasagna is simple to make and comes out perfectly! Loaded with Italian spices and lots of cheese it’s a family favorite for sure.
Meatloaf Recipe: This Meatloaf Recipe is a classic. Made with lean ground beef it’s full of flavor and perfectly moist, I topped it all off with a brown sugar glaze.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast: My favorite recipe so a simple and juicy Slow Cooker Pot Roast. Loaded with veggies and full of flavor this recipe is a must-try and one that will be on my menu again.
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
Easy Salisbury Steak
- 1 pound Ground beef
- ⅓ cup Bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 teaspoons Ketchup
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 2 tablespoons Onion (diced)
- 2 teaspoon Garlic (minced)
- 2 cups Water
- 2 packages Brown gravy mix
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Ketchup
- Start by adding all ingredients for the patties into a large mixing bowl. Mix together well with hand and form 4 patties. Place in a warm greased pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side medium/low heat. Remove patties from pan and set aside.
- Add oil to the warm pan. Add minced garlic and diced onions to the skillet and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes or until they have become slightly tender and translucent.
- Add water to the pan and bring to a boil. Whisk in gravy mix and mix until well blended. Add Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and mix.
- Place all patties back into your pan with the gravy and allow to cook on low for 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy I served mine with mashed potatoes and green beans.