Nothing is better than homemade. This simple recipe for Homemade Alfredo Sauce is my favorite thing to serve with pasta. It is rich and creamy and a perfect traditional Italian Alfredo Sauce.
I have always loved Fettuccini Alfredo. Honestly, I love Alfredo Sauce more than a traditional Red Pasta Sauce. This is my homemade Alfredo sauce that I have perfected over the years.
How to make Homemade Alfredo Sauce:
This recipe for Alfredo has taken me a while to get it perfected, but I believe I have mastered it.
Rich and creamy to make this Alfredo sauce you want to take it low and slow. Not too high of heat, and not too fast. You can't rush this sauce, or you will ruin it.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter. If you use salted just add less salt when seasoning
- Heavy whipping cream
- Garlic: Use freshly minced or jarred
- Parmesan cheese: shredded.
- Salt and pepper: Add this to taste.
Step one: If you will be serving this on pasta go ahead and prepare that while you cook your alfredo.
Step two: Melt butter in a saucepan over low/medium heat.
- Tip: When making alfredo low and slow is the way to work. This will help prevent burning.
Step three: Slowly mix in heavy cream once butter is about melted.
Step four: Next add in your garlic. Then slowly add in shredded parmesan cheese whisking until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
- Tip: I add my garlic after the cream to help prevent burning.
Step five: Last season with your Alfredo with salt and pepper.
- Tip: At this point you can add more or less seasoning to taste.
How to Store Homemade Alfredo Sauce:
Place in a mason jar with a lid or any airtight container. Keep in the fridge 3-4 days. Stir consistently when reheating on low heat.
What Pasta is Best for Alfredo Sauce:
I serve my alfredo with fettuccini but any pasta you enjoy will taste great with it. I tried very hard to keep this recipe as traditional as possible, so that is also why fettuccini is the best pasta to use.
Can I use milk instead of cream?
So cream is ideal for this recipe, but if you do not have it available you can use other dairy options.
One thing I will add is that using other dairy alternatives will change the taste and flavor of the alfredo sauce.
Milk, however, will not alter the taste and texture of the alfredo sauce that much.
Other alternatives to heavy cream:
Again, using heavy cream is the more traditional option for alfredo sauce, but here are some other alternatives besides milk if you don't have enough cream or milk.
- Half and Half
- Greek Yogurt - a nice healthier alternative.
- Cream Cheese - this will make it very cream and also thicken the sauce up if you need.
- Evaporated Milk - not the best alternative and you may want to add some water or broth to it with this. This would greatly change the taste though.
If you tried any of my recipes, I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below.
You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups parmesan cheese (shredded)
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 12 oz fettuccine (optional for serving)
- Prepare pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low/medium heat. Slowly mix in heavy cream once butter is about melted.
- Add in garlic. Slowly add in shredded parmesan cheese whisking until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Optional: serve with pasta and grilled chicken
This has got to be the absolute best Alfredo sauce I have even found! I tried to make so many and this is amazing!! I make it in all my dinners that require Alfredo sauce! Such an easy recipe to follow!! Good job and thank you!!
Yah! You made my night, thank you so much for the comment. I am so glad you enjoy it.