Nothing is better than homemade. This simple recipe for Homemade Alfredo Sauce is my favorite thing to serve with pasta. It is rich and creamy and a perfect traditional Italian Alfredo Sauce.
I have always loved Fettuccini Alfredo. Honestly, I love Alfredo Sauce more than a traditional Red Pasta Sauce. This creamy sauce is rich and full of flavor.
This is my Homemade Alfredo Sauce that I have perfected over the years. Serve it with fettuccini noodles or regular spaghetti noodles.
This is a great sauce that everyone will love!
How to make Homemade Alfredo Sauce:
This recipe for Alfredo has taken me a while to get it perfected, but I believe I have mastered it.
This Alfredo sauce is rich and creamy. You want to make it low and slow.
Cook Low and Slow: Not too high of heat, and not too fast. You can't rush this sauce, or you will ruin it.
I use a low to medium heat and am constantly stirring the sauce to prevent things from sticking and burning.
Add Slowly and Mix: Make sure to stir when adding in your additional ingredients throughout the cooking process.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter but if you use salted, I suggest you just add less salt when seasoning.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Garlic: Use freshly minced or jarred garlic. Add more to taste.
- Parmesan cheese: Freshly shredded works best but you can also buy a bag of shredded.
- Salt and pepper: Add this to taste.
Step one: If you will be serving this on pasta go ahead and prepare that while you cook your Alfredo.
Any noodles will work with Alfred sauce. Fettuccine is the classic noodle type served with alfredo but anything you enjoy will work. You can also make your sauce and stir it for later.
Step two: Melt butter in a saucepan over low/medium heat.
- Tip: When making alfredo low and slow is the way to work. This will help prevent burning.
Step three: Slowly mix in heavy cream once butter is about melted.
Heavy cream will make your sauce rich and thick. The perfect dairy for Alfredo sauce!
Step four: Next add in your garlic. Then slowly add in shredded parmesan cheese whisking until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
- Tip: I add my garlic after the cream to help prevent burning.
Step five: Last season with your Alfredo with salt and pepper.
- Tip: At this point you can add more or less seasoning to taste.
How to Store Homemade Alfredo Sauce:
Place in a mason jar with a lid or any airtight container.
Keep in the fridge 3-4 days. Stir constantly when reheating on low heat.
What Pasta is Best for Alfredo Sauce:
I serve my alfredo with fettuccini but any pasta you enjoy will taste great with it.
I tried very hard to keep this recipe as traditional as possible, so that is also why fettuccini is the best pasta to use.
Can I use milk instead of cream?
So cream is ideal for this recipe, but if you do not have it available you can use other dairy options.
One thing I will add is that using other dairy alternatives will change the taste and flavor of the alfredo sauce.
Milk, however, will not make the sauce as rich in flavor and the sauce would not be as thick. I would suggest adding some flour or corn starch to your sauce to thicken it up if you use milk.
Other alternatives to heavy cream:
Again, using heavy cream is the more traditional option for alfredo sauce, but here are some other alternatives besides milk if you don't have enough cream or milk.
- Half and Half
- Greek Yogurt - a nice healthier alternative.
- Cream Cheese - this will make it very cream and also thicken the sauce up if you need.
- Evaporated Milk - not the best alternative and you may want to add some water or broth to it with this. This would greatly change the taste though.
Try some of my other favorite pasta dishes:
Easy Taco Pasta Salad - Seasoned with taco seasonings this Easy Taco Pasta Salad is the perfect summertime side dish. It's filled with green onions, bell peppers, corn, Mexican shredded cheese, and completely delicious!
Chicken Fajita Pasta - Creamy and cheesy Chicken Fajita Pasta. My two favorites coming together, Mexican and pasta combined in a flavorful cream sauce.
One Pan Taco Pasta - This simple One-Pan Taco Pasta means fewer dishes for you after dinner and a happy family during dinner.
If you tried any of my recipes, I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups parmesan cheese (shredded)
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 12 oz fettuccine (optional for serving)
- Prepare pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low/medium heat. Slowly mix in heavy cream once butter is about melted.
- Add in garlic. Slowly add in shredded parmesan cheese whisking until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Optional: serve with pasta and grilled chicken