A classic dinner recipe that the entire family will love. Even my kids asked for seconds of this Easy Tuna Casserole. It's made with egg noodles and then topped with cheese before baking. Usually, I have most of these ingredients in my pantry, so if I need a quick meal, it's this!
Tuna casserole is a classic. Growing up we ate tuna a lot and I always loved it. Even as someone who didn't always like fish, I loved tuna.
This Tuna Casserole is the same recipe that I grew up on and now my kids love it.
Something that I personally love about this recipe is how easy it is to make.
I usually have these ingredients in my pantry at any given time and it can all be put together in less than an hour.
How to make Tuna Casserole:
For this dinner recipe, I used canned tuna and egg noodles. A creamy base made from cream of chicken soup and mayonnaise.
I seasoned it all then topped it with cheese before popping it in the oven.
Prep: Prepare your noodles according to the package directions. You want them to be al dente as they will cook more in the oven.
Drain and cut up the tuna into smaller pieces to distribute in the casserole.
Mix and Bake: Mix your sauce together and then spread all the ingredients into a casserole dish. Bake and enjoy!
Cheesy Tuna Casserole Ingredients:
- Egg noodles: These are the noodles I prefer for this casserole but you can use your favorite noodle.
- Tuna: I used canned tuna in water.
- Cream of chicken soup
- Seasonings: For seasonings I used garlic and onion powder along with salt and pepper.
Step one: I always start with prepping my casserole dish with some non-stick cooking spray and reheating my oven.
For this recipe, I used a 9x13 casserole dish.
Step two: Next cook your egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and place in your prepared casserole dish.
Drain your tuna and place it in your dish with noodles and mix.
- Tip: Use a fork to cut up the tuna into smaller pieces before adding to the dish, as this will make it easier to get the tuna evenly distributed throughout the casserole.
Step three: In a separate bowl prepare your creamy base for the casserole.
Mix together the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, and seasonings.
Once those are well combined with the tuna and noodles and mix until all noodles are coated.
Optional: At this time, you can also add in peas or corn if you desire.
Last before placing it in the oven top with shredded cheese.
- Optional Tip: We grew up with shredded cheese on top of tuna casserole. This is a slight variation from the traditional recipe. Traditionally, breadcrumbs are sprinkled on top of the casserole before baking.
Step four: Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until cheese is melted and your casserole is warm throughout.
Don't allow the leftover tuna casserole to sit at room temperature for more than two hours.
Store the tuna casserole in the refrigerator in an airtight container, or by covering the leftovers with foil, and it should last 2-3 days.
I served my casserole with a salad and veggies. Here are a few more of my favorite side dishes to pair with this dinner.
Try some of my other favorite casseroles:
Chili Mac Casserole - This hearty casserole is loaded with beef, cheese, and noodles. This Chili Mac Casserole is a family favorite and a recipe you will love.
Tater Tot Casserole - This Tater Tot Casserole is one of the best casseroles you will ever make. Hearty and cheesy this casserole is going to be a favorite for many dinners to come!
Cheesy Potato Casserole - Are you ready to try the BEST, yes, I said it the BEST, side dish recipe? I have to limit making this Cheesy Potato Casserole to holiday time, or when guests are over because I could eat up the entire thing!
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
- 3 cups egg noodles (uncooked)
- 10 oz tuna (in water and drained)
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and place in your prepared casserole dish. Drain your tuna and place it in your dish with noodles and mix.
- In a small mixing bowl mix together cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, and seasonings. Add to tuna and noodles and mix until all noodles are coated. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.