This hearty casserole is loaded with beef, cheese, and noodles. This Chili Mac Casserole is a family favorite and a recipe you will love.
This casserole is one of my husband's favorites. Chili Mac or Chili Mac Casserole is loaded with beef and cheese and tastes amazing. A man can't ask for much more.
This easy Chili Mac Casserole is so simple to make. Make everything in one pot and then transfer to the casserole dish for baking. Serve it with a salad and enjoy!
How to make Chili Mac:
This Chili Mac recipe is super easy to make. I love this classic recipe and have even made it in my instant pot before, Instant Pot Chili Mac.
You can make simple Chili Mac in One Pot, but since this is a Chili Mac Casserole recipe after making it in your one pot, we bake it in the oven with more cheese on top to make the casserole.
Start by cooking your noodles. Drain them in a colander and use the pot to cook your ground beef. Add the onions and garlic next, and then when those are cooked add everything else.
Once everything is heated, melted and mixed add it to a casserole dish and top with more cheese before baking.
- Elbow Macaroni: you can use other pasta you have on hand like rotini.
- Ground Beef
- Onion: white onion diced
- Minced Garlic
- Diced Tomatoes: I used canned and drained tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Seasoning: Chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper
- Cheese: shredded Colby Jack but you can use cheddar as well.
Chili Mac typically has beans in the recipe. Kidney Beans or Chili Beans are added to the recipe, hence the name Chili Mac.
I left them out of this recipe, but if you wish to add them use 1 can of Kidney or Chili Beans drained and rinsed.
Step one: Get started by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Tip: For this recipe, I used a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
Step two: Next cook your pasta according to package directions. Then drain and set aside.
Step three: In a large pot cook and crumble ground beef.
Add onion and garlic and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes on a lower heat to make sure your garlic does not burn.
Step four: Add in diced tomatoes and tomato paste then season with chili powder, salt, cumin, and pepper.
- Cooking Tip: If you are adding beans I would add them here at this step.
Step five: Then add your cook and drained elbow macaroni to your beef and tomatoes and mix well.
Then mix in just 1 cup of shredded cheese and mix until melted.
Step six: Last add your ingredients to your prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted.
How to store Chili Mac Casserole:
This dish can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days after making it.
Transfer the leftovers into a covered container and store in the fridge.
Reheat by placing back in the oven for about 20 minutes. Add some more cheese on top before going back in the oven if you want.
Can you freeze this casserole?
This casserole is great frozen as well. I make it often for friends that just had a baby or are homesick.
You can freeze this casserole in an airtight-covered freezer container for up to three months.
To reheat place in the refrigerator for about 24 hours before wanting to serve it. Reheat in the oven for about 30 minutes.
What should I serve with this casserole?
- Baked Garlic Green Beans - Crispy and delicious and one of the best ways to make green beans. These Baked Garlic Green Beans are simple to make and gives a new taste to your favorite vegetable.
- Broccoli Salad - The best Broccoli Salad! Broccoli, carrots, raisins and even bacon tossed in a simple homemade dressing.
- Cream Corn - This Cream Corn is a classic side dish recipe. Just like my grandma would make, it's perfectly creamy and tastes amazing.
Try some of my other favorite casseroles:
Spaghetti Casserole - This simple Spaghetti Casserole is a family favorite. With creamy coated spaghetti baked with tomato sauce and shredded cheese. This dish is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
Cheeseburger Casserole - This simple Cheeseburger Casserole is a classic dinner recipe that your family will be asking for again and again! Made in about 30 minutes, you'll never go for a "box" meal again!
Crack Chicken Casserole - This Crack Chicken Casserole is made with shredded hashbrown potatoes, bacon, and ranch seasoning. It's a favorite with my family and a recipe you are sure to love.
If you tried any of my recipes, I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Chili Mac Casserole
- 1 cup elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 28 oz diced tomatoes (canned)
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Colby jack cheese (shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Then drain and set aside.
- In a large pot cook and crumble ground beef. Add onion and garlic and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes on medium low heat.
- Add in diced tomatoes and tomato paste then season with chili powder, salt, cumin, and pepper.
- Add cook and drained elbow macaroni to your beef and tomatoes and mix well. Mix in 1 cup of shredded cheese and mix until melted.
- Add your ingredients to your prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted.