This Mexican Rice makes the BEST side dish recipe for your Mexican inspired dinners.
Easy Mexican Rice
Mexican inspired food is my all time favorite and it's on our menu a lot. I love serving this recipe as a side dish. It's so easy to make and it taste amazing.
Mexican rice also called Spanish Rice originated in Veracruz. This recipe is my simple version that I love to make at home and how my family enjoys it best.
How to make Mexican Rice:
Step one: Get started by heating your oil in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat add rice and toast until just golden brown.
- TIP: You want to make sure to use a big enough pan for all ingredients and roll for the rice to expand.
Step two: Next carefully add in chicken broth, tomato sauce, garlic powder, and cumin.
Step three: Now you want to bring this to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 25-35 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a work.
Step four: Last mix in diced cilantro and lime juice. If you dislike cilantro you can skip that part. Fluff again then serve.
FAQ and Tips:
Can I use another type of rice? I prefer long grain rice but you can use a standard short grain rice in it's place. The rice could be more sticky but will still taste great.
Can I freeze this rice? Yes, you can definitely freeze this recipe. Once it's ready allow it to cool completely. Then place it in freezer bags and into the freezer for 3-6 months.
When you are ready to eat place your bag of rice in the fridge to thaw. To warm it just place it in the microwave for a few minutes.
Mexican Inspired Recipes:
Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve with this Mexican Rice.
If you tried any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
- ⅛ cup oil
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (diced)
- 2 limes
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat add rice and toast until just golden brown.
- Carefully add in chicken broth, tomato sauce, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 25-35 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a work.
- Mix in diced cilantro and lime juice. Fluff again then serve.