This Mexican Rice makes the BEST side dish recipe for your Mexican inspired dinners. Full of flavor and super easy to make for taco night!
Easy Mexican Rice
Mexican inspired food is my all-time favorite and it's on our menu a lot. I love serving this recipe as a side dish. It's so easy to make and it tastes amazing.
Mexican rice also called Spanish Rice originated in Veracruz. This recipe is just my simple version that I love to make at home and how my family enjoys it best.
How to make Mexican Rice:
This rice is made a bit differently from your standard minute or stovetop rice.
You start by toasting the grains of rice and then adding the other ingredients. Instead of using water to cook the rice, I use chicken broth for the liquid.
This adds extra flavor and gives it that "dirty" rice taste you expect with Mexican Rice.
Once the rice has cooked and is finished you will finish the rice off by adding the lime juice and cilantro.
- Long Grain Rice: the long grain is my favorite but you can use what your family enjoys best.
- Oil: use a oil without much flavor in it, like vegetable or canola oil.
- Chicken Broth
- Tomato Sauce
- Seaoning: garlic powder and cumin.
Step one: Get started by heating your oil in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat add the rice and toast until just golden brown.
- TIP: You want to make sure to use a big enough pan for all ingredients and will allow for the rice to expand.
Step two: Next carefully add in chicken broth, tomato sauce, garlic powder, and cumin.
Step three: Now you want to bring this to a boil then reduce heat and cover.
Allow to simmer for 25-35 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a work.
Step four: Last mix in diced cilantro and lime juice. If you dislike cilantro you can skip that part. Fluff again then serve.
FAQ and Tips:
Can I use another type of rice? I prefer long grain rice but you can use a standard short grain rice in it's place. The rice could be more sticky but will still taste great.
Can I freeze this rice? Yes, you can definitely freeze this recipe. Once it's ready allow it to cool completely. Then place it in freezer bags and into the freezer for 3-6 months.
When you are ready to eat place your bag of rice in the fridge to thaw. To warm it just place it in the microwave for a few minutes.
Mexican Inspired Recipes:
Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve with this Mexican Rice.
If you tried any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
- ⅛ cup oil
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (diced)
- 2 limes
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat add rice and toast until just golden brown.
- Carefully add in chicken broth, tomato sauce, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 25-35 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a work.
- Mix in diced cilantro and lime juice. Fluff again then serve.