These Baked Chicken Tacos are the perfect dinner recipe. Stuffed with beans, chicken, and cheese then baked until crunchy. When you are ready to serve let everyone top them with their favorite taco style toppings.
It doesn't have to be Tuesday for us to have tacos on the menu! We have tacos at least once a week around here and these Baked Chicken Tacos are a favorite.
These tacos are seasoned with taco seasoning, salsa, and green chilies.
If you want a little more spice, then try diced jalapenos instead of chilis.
I added a spoon full of beans to the bottom then my seasoned chicken and shredded cheese.
How to make Baked Chicken Tacos:
Chicken: Taco Tuesday is a regular theme on our weeknights. We generally have tacos on the weekend as well.
These Baked Chicken Tacos are really easy to make.
Start with shredding some chicken. Mix the chicken together with the taco seasoning, salsa and green chilies.
Bake: Arrange your taco shells in the casserole dish and start building them. You want the heaviest ingredients at the bottom, so start with the refried beans.
Next add in the chicken mixture, and top with the cheese. Bake in the oven, and then enjoy!
Serve: Add some more of your favorite taco ingredients when they are done like sour cream, more salsa, tomatoes or jalapenos.
- Chicken Breast - you want to start with cooked and shredded. You can prepare it yourself and use my All-Purpose Chicken Recipe for this. Or you can buy a Rotisserie chicken and use the meat from that.
- Taco Seasoning - use a packet or make your own. Here is my recipe for chicken taco seasoning.
- Salsa - whatever your favorite jarred also works for this recipe.
- Green Chilies - I used canned diced green chilies
- Taco Shells - Stand and stuff tacos work best for this so they sit up while baking.
- Refried Beans
- Cheese - Shredded Colby Jack cheese.
Step one: Let's get started with mixing together our cooked and shredded chicken breast with taco seasoning, salsa, and green chilies in a mixing bowl.
- Tip: If you do not have already cooked chicken on hand, a rotisserie chicken would work great as well!
Step two: Now preheat your oven and prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray then stand taco shells inside.
Make sure to go really light on the cooking spray.
You don't want your shells to stick but you also don't want them to get soggy.
Step three: Lastly, spoon in refried beans to the bottom of each shell and then top that with chicken and then shredded cheese.
- Cooking tip: I used the stand and stuff taco shells for this recipe to make sure my tacos would stand nicely. You could use regular taco shells but would probably use closer to 12 taco shells instead of the 9 I used since they usually are smaller.
Bake until cheese is melted. About 7-10 minutes is perfect.
Serving Chicken Tacos:
Remove from oven and serve topped with your favorite taco toppings. Check out some of my favorite toppings below.
Additional Topping Options:
I love serving ours topped with a few of our favorite taco toppings. Here are some of the things I love to serve.
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avocado
- Diced Tomatoes
What are some good sides for Tacos?
Yes, it is perfectly ok to fill up on only tacos. But when I have my husband and kids to feed, I cannot make 50 tacos, haha!
I love to make rice with my tacos.
My Mexican Rice and my Cilantro Lime Rice are two of my favorite rice recipes.
Try some of my other favorite Taco recipes:
Taco Bowl - Change up Taco Tuesdays with this delicious Taco Bowl recipe! All your favorite taco ingredients in a bowl to enjoy! No burritos or taco shells needed!
One Pan Taco Pasta - This simple One-Pan Taco Pasta means fewer dishes for you after dinner and a happy family during dinner.
Taco Soup - My all-time favorite soup recipe that you are going to LOVE! Taco Soup is filled with all your taco favorites.
If you tried this recipe or any of my recipes, I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and YOUTUBE.
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
Baked Chicken Tacos
- 1 pound chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons green chilies
- 9 taco shells
- 16 oz refried beans
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese (shredded)
- In a mixing bowl mix cooked and shredded chicken breast with taco seasoning, salsa, and green chilies.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray then stand taco shells inside.
- Spoon in refried beans to the bottom of each shell. Top with chicken and then shredded cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and serve topped with your favorite taco toppings.
Leave a Reply