Swiss Steak is a classic recipe that has been made for generations. It is a round steak slow cooked in tomatoes and onions that make a great sauce. You will love this easy to make recipe!
My mom has been making this recipe for as long as I can remember. We didn't have it often growing up, but when we did I loved it!
This is a classic recipe that has been around for years, and it is one of my favorites.
How to make Swiss Steak:
I love a good slow cooker meal. Put all my ingredients in the slow cooker and let it do all the work.
This recipe is just that simple with just a little bit of prep work. Coat your steak cuts in the flour, salt and pepper mixture.
Mix together your tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and garlic.
Place your onions in the slow cooker first, followed by the steaks and the tomato mixture. Cook and then enjoy!
- Beef Round Steak - cut into 4 or 5 pieces
- Salt and Pepper - use more or less to taste
- White Onion - that has been sliced.
- Petite Diced Tomatoes - I used canned tomatoes
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Garlic Cloves - that has been minced
Step One - Mix flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Coat each steak in flour then set aside.
Step Two - Place onions in the slow cooker and top with flour coated steaks.
Step Three - Mix petite diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic. Then pour over steaks and onions in slow cooker.
Step Four - Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until steak is cooked and tender.
Can I use another cut of beef?
Yes, you definitely can use another cut of beef. Some other good cuts of beef would be these options.
Chuck Roast - I would leave this whole and then shred it once done.
Cube Steak - This is another very good and tasty cut of steak for the slow cooker.
Beef Stew Cuts - Beef Stew meat would be another great option for this meal.
How to store leftover Swiss Steak:
Store in a food safe storage container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
The acidity of the tomatoes will break down the meat some as it is stored, so you will want to eat it sooner than later.
Reheat in a skillet on the stove top or microwave.
What to serve with Swiss Steak:
This meal goes perfect with some potatoes and veggies. I have some great recipes for some sides with this dinner.
- World's Best Mashed Potatoes - This is a recipe you will want to try! The World's Best Mashed Potatoes, simple to make and of course tastes amazing! Make sure to give this recipe a try asap!
- Loaded Smashed Potatoes - Loaded with all your favorite toppings these Loaded Smashed Potatoes are the perfect side dish for any meal. Simple to make and loaded with your favorite baked potato toppings you will love this recipe!
- Air Fryer Broccoli - This recipe for the best Air Fryer Broccoli will become a favorite for dinner with your family. Perfectly roasted but in less than 10 minutes, these broccolis are crispy and a super healthy side dish for any meal.
- Roasted Vegetables - These deliciously seasoned Roasted Vegetables are the perfect side dish. Take your favorite vegetables, season them, and make the easiest Roasted Vegetables you've ever had. They are the best way to make Roasted Vegetables!
If you tried any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST. I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, use hashtag #TDOARH
Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 ½ pounds beef round steak (cut into 4-5 pieces)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 30 oz petite diced tomatoes (canned)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Coat each steak in flour then set aside.
- Place onions in the slow cooker and top with flour coated steaks.
- Mix petite diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic. Then pour over steaks and onions in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until steak is cooked and tender.