Nothing better than comfort food in your slow cooker! I love this recipe for Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese. It's my favorite way to make mac and cheese and comes out perfect every time!
My kids LOVE mac and cheese. It's the one meal they would never turn down.
Can you blame them though? Carbs covered in cheese, it's kind of amazing!
This is truly the BEST Mac and cheese recipe. It's so simple to make and tastes amazing.
I make this one for almost every holiday or event and everyone loves it.
How to make Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese:
So, this recipe is super easy to make. Yes, like almost all of my recipes, this is another one that is easy for anyone to make.
Prep: Cook your noodles according to box directions. While they are cooking cut your Velveeta cheese into cubes.
Cook: Then when the noodles are al dente, add all ingredients to your slow cooker and cook for about another hour.
- Macaroni Noodles
- Velveeta Cheese
- Butter: I used unsalted butter.
- Cheese: shredded cheddar cheese.
- Half and Half: You can buy half and half in the store or make your own. It is just equal parts cream and milk.
Step One - Cook macaroni according to the package's directions. Drain and place in slow cooker.
- Tip: Do not overcook the noodles. Keep the al dente as they will cook more in the slow cooker.
Step Two - Cut cheese block into cubes and place on top of noodles.
Add shredded cheddar cheese, butter, and the half and half.
Step Three - Mix all the ingredients together in the slow cooker so everything is spread out nicely.
Step Four - Cook on low for 1 hour or on high for 30 minutes or until cheese is nice and melted.
Remove lid and stir well until all the melted cheese has coated the noodles. Cook for an addition 15-20 minutes.
Step Five - Serve hot and enjoy!
Tips for great Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese:
- For a stronger cheese flavor use a Cheddar Cheese block and shred it. Store bought shredded cheese is what I used just to make it a tad easier, but a block of cheddar cheese does taste great.
- Do not overcook this recipe. If you over cook your noodles beforehand they could become mushy. Make sure they are al dente and then only cook for 1 hour.
What should I serve with Mac and Cheese?
Here are a few of my favorite things that we serve with Mac and Cheese as our main dish.
- Kielbasa - this is a family favorite with our Mac and Cheese. Slice it up and cook it on a skillet then serve right on top of your Mac and Cheese.
- Garlic Green Beans - These Baked Garlic Green Beans are simple to make and gives a new taste to your favorite vegetable.
- Cream Corn - This Cream Corn is a classic side dish recipe. Just like my grandma would make, it's perfectly creamy and tastes amazing.
Try adding some of these other cheese to this mac and cheese:
I love using different cheeses in my mac and cheese.
Cheddar cheese is one of the best cheeses to use in making mac and cheese, but there are so many other good options!
Try some of these other cheeses for this recipe.
- Gruyere is a sweet but salty cheese that melts so well! It gives a really nice flavor to a mac and cheese.
- Cream Cheese is a great addition to add some extra creaminess to your mac and cheese.
How to store Macaroni and Cheese:
Mac and Cheese is easily stored in an airtight container.
It can be stored in the refrigerator for about 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
I love making extra so I have leftovers, and it is a great meal to send over to family or friends who can use a meal.
Try some of my other Mac and Cheese recipes:
Four Cheese Mac and Cheese - This Four Cheese Mac and Cheese is the best side dish or main entree you can make. Loaded with cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, and gouda cheeses this Mac and Cheese is amazing!
White Cheddar Mac and Cheese - This White Cheddar Cheese is so rich and creamy it rivals the famous Panera Mac and Cheese.
Stovetop Mac and Cheese - Super creamy and cheesy Stovetop Mac and Cheese. You are going to love this simple one pot recipe, plus it's a hit with the kids!
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups Macaroni noodles
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 4 cups Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 ½ cup Half and half
- Cook macaroni according to the package's directions. Drain and place in slow cooker.
- Cut cheese block into cubes and place on top of noodles. Add shredded cheddar cheese, butter, and the half and half.
- Cook on low for 1 hour or on high for 30 minutes or until cheese is nice and melted. Remove lid and stir well until all the melted cheese has coated the noodles. Cook for an addition 15-20 minutes.