The perfect soup ready made right in your slow cooker. This Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup recipe is made with veggies, chicken, broth, finished with a creamy sauce to make the best soup.
This simple soup recipe is one of my favorites. We just got home from Orlando and they are calling for lots of rain and even some snow this week. I'm missing the warm weather that we had on vacation.
I will be enjoying this Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup all cuddled up and counting down the days until summer.
How to make Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup:
This recipe is so simple to make. You just want to add everything to your slow cooker except for your flour and milk.
That will come in later once your soup is about done. Cover and let it cook. Or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
Ladle out of warm broth and place in a small mixing bowl. Add flour and whisk together. Slowly add in half & half and mix until well combined and smooth.
Add this back into your soup, mix, and allow to cook for an addition 30 minutes. Once it's done serve warm and enjoy!
Half and Half Substitutes:
If you don't have half and half you could try milk mixed with heavy cream.
For a lighter soup, you can use milk in the place of half and half but it will not have the same richness that the half and half does.
How to Freeze this Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup:
- Cook soup according to directions
- Allow soup to cool
- Ladle soup into a freezer bag.
- Lay flat in the freezer to freeze.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
How to freeze longer than 3 months:
If you want to freeze this soup longer then 3 months then skip adding the half and half and flour. When you are reheating start at step 2. Not putting milk into this recipe when freezing will allow it to freeze for up to 6 months.
How to reheat frozen soup:
Place your frozen soup in the refrigerator 24 hours before serving to thaw out. Place soup into the slow cooker or on the stove top to reheat. Cook until warm throughout.
Have leftover chicken and rice? Try these recipes next:
Cheesy Salsa Chicken and Rice: This recipe is a new take on a classic recipe and it quickly became a family favorite.
One Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice: Fewer dishes and more cheese. This recipe is simple to make and simple to clean up.
Chicken and Rice Casserole: This recipe is a classic. One my mom made growing up and one now that my kids love.
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 breast Boneless and Skinless Chicken Breast
- ¾ cup Instant brown rice
- 32 oz Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Celery (chopped)
- 1 cup Carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 cup White onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried basil
- ¼ cup Unsalted butter
- ½ cup Flour
- 2 cups Half & half
- Add everything to your slow cooker except for your flour and milk. Cover and let it cook for 7-8 hours on low or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
- Ladle out 1-2 cup(s) of warm broth and place in a small mixing bowl. Add flour and whisk together. Slowly add in half & half and mix until well combined and smooth. Add this back into your soup, mix, and allow to cook for an addition 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! (Optional: I served mine with fresh chopped parsley as garnish)