Creamy and cheesy baked macaroni baked with more cheese on topped. Made from scratch just like grandma use to make it, this Baked Mac and Cheese is a winning recipe.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
In honor of my oldest son birthday today I wanted to share is all time favorite food, Mac and cheese. He is obsessed. Anytime we go out to eat I usually check out the menu for the kids before hand and as long Mac and cheese is on there we know it’s a winner. Of course my son isn’t that picky, he loved the powdering Mac and cheese made right from a box but when mommy and daddy want to enjoy some we go for the homemade stuff instead.
- Macaroni, 16oz
- Butter, 1/3 cup
- Flour, 1/3 cup
- Salt, 1/2 tsp
- Pepper, 1/2 tsp
- Milk, 3 1/2 cups
- Cheddar cheese, shredded, 8 oz + 1/2 cup for topping
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, 8 oz
- Optional: Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot. Spinkle in flour, salt and pepper, until smooth and golden brown. Slowly add in milk while whisking (I added about 1/2 cup at a time adding it to fast will not allow it all to thicken).
- Slowly mix in shredded cheese until smooth and melted. Add macaroni to the pot and mix well until noodles are evenly coated.
- Add cheesy noodles to a casserole dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
- Optional: top with fresh parsley for garnish